what oil are you guys using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Viscosity depends on climate and bearing clearances. You wouldnt want to run 20w50 in the winter with a motor that has tight bearing clearances. However 5w30 would work. What is your climate?

Edit:

I see you are in Virgina, so I am guessing your about as hot as Michigan maybe even more right now. I would say 10w30 at a minimum in hot climates. 5w30 drips like water when its engine temp.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Last time around 20w-50 Royal Purple, mostly cause I am getting a discount on it.

As a side point, and not to start an argument but 20w-50 is rated for winter use, hence the w. However, as stated with tight clearances, make sure it gets warmed up before revving it, although that should go with any engine and/'or weight of oil. Also a 5w-30 and 10w-30 have the same viscosity when warm.

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Valvoline conventional 10w30 + Rislone ZDDP additive

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I am using Royal Purple in my new engine 8)

My store carries the 3 main oils mentioned here; Amsoil, Royal Purple and VR1 "NOT STREET LEGAL" oil. I would have to say the VR1 is probably the most popular seller and is about the same cost as the Royal Purple. The Amsoil is about $2 higher. I run Amsoil in my wife's '07 Pontiac G6. It has a 25,000 mile/1 year guarantee. I changed the oil filter at 6 months and the oil still looked brand new. I have seen some cool tests with Amsoil and Royal Purple oils.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
castrol gtx for older motors. i buy the 5+quart ones cuz they had them on sale and imma cheapass :lol:

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
What's the deal with full syn oils. This will be my first experience with them. I just want to make sure I make the right choice. My local napa doesn't carry the vr1 but say they can get it for $8.69 per quart + tax

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
I havent haerd anything new to dispute this: you cant use synthetis with a flat tappet without zinc either. And there is some problem with just pouring additive in, probably incompatible bases. And i havent found a syn with ZDDP, even in the race oils.
but for anything else syn is great! It does not affect seals (it used to when it first came out) it definitely reduces friction and does an all around better job of keeping the engine clean. The only issue i've ever seen is that LS engined chevy trucks burn a little oil on syn, thats probably from a loose ring fit.
most new engines, if nkt all are specifically designed for synthetic

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I'm looking hard at the brad Penn oil but ill prolly have to order a case to make it with while to ship

Summit only has the 20w/50 and 10w/30 so ill have to decide between those I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor