What paint have you guys used to paint your engine bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Cut1a55

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2012
I am getting ready to buy paint to use for my frame rails and engine bay. I am just curious to see what you guys may have used or recommend. Also, what process or other materials did you use besides the paint. Primer, clear coat,etc.....

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
I like rustolem. it is cheap and if preped right durable. and if you need to touch up or repaint something you know it matches.if you are painting plastic spend the extra money and get the paint for plastic,it wont flake off in a month.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
I used Rustolem on my bay, big thing is to CLEAN, CLEAN, and when you think your done CLEAN more. I ended up doing it over again due to not clean enough.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black on just about everything.

For my frame I used it to top coat the rustbullet coating I put on the frame. Thinned it down with mineral spirits and sprayed it with a cheapy ($20) paint gun.

Turned out really well and has help up well even after being scraped and fuel spilling on it:

IMG_1145-s.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Also used it on the core support:

IMG_1725.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
I ended up using a combination of rustoleum high heat, duplicolor high heat, and vht high heat. Overall, I liked the look and workability of the duplicolor, I think it looked closer to factory, and the duplicolor dried the fastest. The vht was good stuff too, but it takes a long time to dry, was a little bit pricier, and a bit too glossy for me, but overall, vht was the most durable. Rustoleum dried quick, was a little too glossy, and reacted hideously with duplicolor and vht. I'd use duplicolor if I had a choice, but any of the 3 are ok.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I never had any luck with any Rustoleum products. I have always used Duplicolor.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
FE3X CLONE said:
I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black on just about everything.

For my frame I used it to top coat the rustbullet coating I put on the frame. Thinned it down with mineral spirits and sprayed it with a cheapy ($20) paint gun.

Turned out really well and has help up well even after being scraped and fuel spilling on it:

IMG_1145-s.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Also used it on the core support:

God that thing looks awesome!

I've got friends that swear by por 15, dilute it with mineral spirits and you can spray it and have the same effects.

IMG_1725.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor