What rear ends fit g-bodys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
my rear coil spring mount rotted off the rear end, so i figured id just replace the whole assembly with a posi unit. im aware that monte carlo, cutlass and grand prix rear ends are interchangeable. i was just curious if others (malibu, camaro, ect) bolted in without major modifications. oh, i live in new hampshire, so if anyone has one for sale locally please let me know.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
All of these are roughly 1978-1987, and all are interchangeable:

Buick Regal
Chevy Malibu
Chevy Monte Carlo
Chevy El Camino
Pontiac Grand Prix
Pontiac Lemans, Safari
Oldsmobile Cutlass

The "Holy Grail" of rears is one from a Grand National or a 442 (bigger, stronger)
Some people swear that the 7.625 rear in the later Monte Carlo SSs are better

I HAVE A 1983 TURBO REGAL FOR SALE,CARS HAS A BOTTOM IN KNOCK,I ALREADY BOUGHT A CRANK KIT TO GO WIT CAR FOR $2500,757 750-5072 MY NAME IS KEVIN,CAR IS IN VIRGINIA NEWPORTNEWS, CARS HAS TRUE DUALS ON IT THE FILLER ARE IN GOOD SHAPE IN SIDE HAS NO RIPS AND THE CAR IS FACTORY BROWN WIT THE BENCH SEATS,PWR WINDOWS.TURBO WHEELS ON IT.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
V8 Rumble said:
You can install a 64-72 a body rear to your with these arms http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/i ... ucts_id=77

the lowers can be forced into place but they don't fit properly. The rear end is wider but the pick up point on the bracket for the lower on the rear is not as widely place as the G body rear. The G body sway bar will not fit as well. I have the stock lowers in for now but I am replacing them with the lowers from UMI with a joint on one end. The 68-72 A body rears also fir using the conversions uppers and I think since it's 2" wider than the 64-67 rear the lowers fit ok. JBrue has the 68-72 rear in his Monte and he helped me out with my installation of the 8.2 67 rear and he never mentioned any issues with the lower control arm fit on the rear end.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
What about an F-Body rear end :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor