What relays are you using?

i recently bought a few relays on eBay (60amp relay with 12gauge socket) over kill for what I'm using it for which is what i like to do in this case. I'm not sure what kind of garbage it being made now but its just terrible. the issues I'm having is on, my LS conversion i did for my fuel pump is getting so hot that its melting socket housing and making the socket come lose from the replay. the relay looks to be fine at this point but its annoying to have this kind of failure. what have you been using and how is the quality of the sockets and relay?

i recently bought a few relays on eBay (60amp relay with 12gauge socket) over kill for what I'm using it for which is what i like to do in this case. I'm not sure what kind of garbage it being made now but its just terrible. the issues I'm having is on, my LS conversion i did for my fuel pump is getting so hot that its melting socket housing and making the socket come lose from the replay. the relay looks to be fine at this point but its annoying to have this kind of failure. what have you been using and how is the quality of the sockets and relay?
With today's quality parts, you never know what you're getting. If the relay connector is melted, it needs to be replaced anyway, but before you replace it, check all of your wiring. Check the fuel pump instructions to see what gauge wire is needed. 12 gauge may be too small. I have an Aeromotive Dual Phantom pump set up and it requires 10 gauge wire. This includes the ground wire also. Use no butt connectors. This also includes the smaller wires to the relay. Wires need to be soldered and heat shrunk, including ring terminals at the pump if used. Make sure that all vehicle grounds are good. You need battery to body, battery to engine, engine to frame and engine to body grounds that are clean and tight with star washers used between terminals and the components. Make sure that there are no restrictions in the fuel system, including filter(s). Make sure that there are no kinks in the fuel lines. Is your fuel pump in tank or external? In tank are better. If it's external, make sure that it's lower than the tank. Everything needs to be perfect especially with today's parts.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor