What should I put in 327, 350w305 or 400w202 heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2009
Houston TX
Here is my issue. I have an 87 Monte SS with a 305. I have in my garage a few motors I have a 350 block with a cam and I have some worked 305 heads I was gonna put on it. I also have an older 327 that needs to be gone through or my last choice is a small block 400 with bowtie 202 head. I am not sure what would be the bes way to go with the Monte. I want it to be good off the line and still give me pickup on the high way? Let me know what you all think

Thanks
Harvard

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Re: What should I put in 327, 350w305 heads or 400

From what you have described as to what you own, use the 400. The 305 heads are crap on pretty much anything, the 327 will not have the proper bolt holes in the heads for your accessory drives, and the 400 will produce abundant low end torque. If fuel economy is a concern, I would build the 327 and use the good heads off the 400. It will still be pretty good off the line, but the smaller displacement will mean better fuel economy at a steady state cruise speed on the highway. Also, the 327 has the best rod/stroke ratio of all of them, so it can be revved harder if the bottom end components are up to the task. There is more theory I could go in to (like piston dwell time versus tolerance to high compression), but I don't feel like writing it all down right now.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey

I have a 327 in mine with 87 cop car heads. Love it. Dont know if its the ideal combo but I can rev the heck out of it and still get over 12 miles to the gallon (when it had a carburetor....now it has TPI but haven had it out to know mileage)

kilog

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2009

the 400 heads are not a very good choice unless you put some money in them. they are designed for trucks running a low rpms. the 2 400's that i have are from 71 and 79 both 2 barrels from trucks. you could have the 327 heads drilled and tapped for the accesories and use a dished piston to keep the compresion at bay.
just my 2 cents.

kilog

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2009
i reread your post. i see that you have good heads to go with the 400. why dont you use the 400 block with the 327 crank and 2.02 heads?
i did the same thing but used a 302 crank. i have very good heads and the thing gets 18 mpg on the interstate and maybe 8 in the city. its a solid 450 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor