May 22, 2011
Central NY
No, they hate WORKING or putting forth the slightest effort... smdh

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Stirring this one up because this is probably the most related topic..

Not sure what everybody's hobbies are but my hobbies include other things besides cars, and I've watched the prices on them go up significantly because people think everything is worth gold right now no matter if it's good or junk. I'm sure we've all seen it so this is nothing new. Reasoning is just chasing that money.

The amusing part to me, I'm right now 3 for 3 trying to message somebody on Facebook marketplace to buy something they are selling, I ask for more pictures because I'm not wasting gas to go and see it when we have modern technology that is capable of sending pictures, I get a response of "yeah I'll send you some more here in a little bit", never hear anything back and the item is still for sale. I mean a couple days too, never get anything back.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around that one. We have devolved into a society where people are that lazy. They want you to give them your money but they can't even pony up the effort to take a simple picture of said item. 3 for 3 this week in a row. I would have given them full price too if the item was in as good shape as I've seen. Some people hate money I guess.

I understand the hassle of trying to sell something dealing with the 95% of tire kickers that just bs around with you, why I purged my extra stuff so I don't have to deal with people in general. However I'm not that type, I have money in my hand wanting to buy I carry through.
You nailed 99% of the experiences on Market Place. I always said, if breathing didn't come naturally, 90% of the populist would drop dead. I know sellers always get sick of people wasting their time, well that's only half of the story! Like your situation here, how about the seller's wasting the buyers time, absolute morons!

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Your 3 for 3 might just be you avoiding three scammers who were trolling for someone to defraud. A picture is jus that, a picture. I cannot begin to contemplate how many posts have appeared on the combined sites of this fora that recount someone buying sight unseen or based on a picture and getting royally hosed; no warning and no K-Y. As a group we take a lot of things on faith, and by and large our faith is rewarded by scoring what we are looking for at a price that will still let us put Mac and Cheese on the table. Thing here is that, your "Sellers" asre probably related to that "Prince" that is in jail somewhere in Africa and just needs you to spring for his bail and he will pay you right back..................Yeah, Right😞.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
No, they hate WORKING or putting forth the slightest effort... smdh
That's an understatement right there. Best one so far was this guy who had a decent 6" Bench Vise, US Made old school cast iron. I just wanted a couple pics of the markings and the guy got all pissy with me told me that I had no more questions to ask because he didn't want to answer any and he wasn't getting paid to "communicate". I was like ok fool you are the one wanting to sell it so you can do a little work here since the first few pics were potato quality. This guy was the typical boomer with a cellphone and no care to take good pics. His response was I was wasting his time, so I was like alright I'm out keep your stuff.
You nailed 99% of the experiences on Market Place. I always said, if breathing didn't come naturally, 90% of the populist would drop dead. I know sellers always get sick of people wasting their time, well that's only half of the story! Like your situation here, how about the seller's wasting the buyers time, absolute morons!
It happens more than it should. I have left multiple deals where I'm the seller or the buyer, someone can't show up on time I'm out, don't even care. I've had stuff posted for free and even then people give you the run around. It's FREE, and still people are sh*t. Amazing.
It simple comes down to the average person we have in society now is a turd and they are proud to be that turd. Easiest way to approach it is to not deal with society. Hinders the hobbies but you learn to get what you need from the few reputable sources.
Your 3 for 3 might just be you avoiding three scammers who were trolling for someone to defraud. A picture is jus that, a picture. I cannot begin to contemplate how many posts have appeared on the combined sites of this fora that recount someone buying sight unseen or based on a picture and getting royally hosed; no warning and no K-Y. As a group we take a lot of things on faith, and by and large our faith is rewarded by scoring what we are looking for at a price that will still let us put Mac and Cheese on the table. Thing here is that, your "Sellers" asre probably related to that "Prince" that is in jail somewhere in Africa and just needs you to spring for his bail and he will pay you right back..................Yeah, Right😞.

Nick
You say that but they never asked for any means of payment via electronic form or money order, etc. This all was local people in my travel distance. What it could have been is stolen stuff they are trying to flip quick, that has been happening here. Someone like me wants a few pics and has a few questions, that's too much hassle for someone just wanting to flip something for cash quick. They operate by give me money no questions asked. Which is funny because I've bought stuff from some questionable people over the years but even they showed up to do the deal. Then again if you ask the right things you can find out quick if someone is full of sh*t, as in you ask for pictures of something just to see if it even exists. The common criminal crap has gotten lazy. I operate via cash in hand for item, or receive cash for my item, meet on time at the place and do the deal like men. I'm good for having money or the item in my hand and being there on time, the other factor is the crap I'm dealing with.

Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist, but this time you can see people and who they are and what else they are selling. Can get a pretty good RECON of how someone is based on what they have forsale.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hadn't thought of it as someone fencing stolen property but that scenario could easily fly as well. Thing to remember about a "hot" deal like that is the whole business of receiving stolen property. Might vary in the details from state to state but generally the dude who buys the stolen items, if caught, is held to be as equally guilty as the thief. So instead of being a scam where you get ripped off for your money because you got nothing in return, with what you suggest, you not only get ripped off by the fence, you also get ripped off by the cops/court by way of having to pay the fines for possession of stolen goods, with all the associated bad press that comes with the guilty verdict.

Nick

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Hadn't thought of it as someone fencing stolen property but that scenario could easily fly as well. Thing to remember about a "hot" deal like that is the whole business of receiving stolen property. Might vary in the details from state to state but generally the dude who buys the stolen items, if caught, is held to be as equally guilty as the thief. So instead of being a scam where you get ripped off for your money because you got nothing in return, with what you suggest, you not only get ripped off by the fence, you also get ripped off by the cops/court by way of having to pay the fines for possession of stolen goods, with all the associated bad press that comes with the guilty verdict.

Nick
even that doesn't goto far AFAIK. now the thieves when caught later when trying to flip are saying "I just bought it from some guy for cash, then realized later I didn't need it so I'm just selling it on"

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Which in and of itself kind of speaks towards the stupidity of the average thief if he/she believes the Po-Po are actually gullible enough to swallow that fish story.

Nick

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Which in and of itself kind of speaks towards the stupidity of the average thief if he/she believes the Po-Po are actually gullible enough to swallow that fish story.

Nick
true, but the problem is they can't prove who stole it, no video or witnesses and the "presumed innocent middleman" will give it up w/o losing any money because, of course, he stole it to begin with
go look for the videos on YT

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Nick
The system protects the criminals more than helps the victims. Anyone of us as adults knows this.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The system protects the criminals more than helps the victims. Anyone of us as adults knows this.
Most of that has to do with your insurance or bank willing to accept minimal punishment if they are willing to pay restitution

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor