What the heck happened to prices ?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
$15 (or more) minimum wage has consequences. People complain about robots taking human jobs...take a ride in the waaambulance. When you make robots more cost effective, guess what's going to happen? Robots don't complain, take breaks, have to sleep, or go on strike and work for the price of electricity. Maybe they should learn how to program/work on those robots. They'd be busy for years to come. Maybe the people that dreamed up that movie Wall-E are going to be proven right one day.

Price things to sell, and they will sell. Price things to keep, and you will keep them. Economies work when people are able to buy the things they want/need when they want them at a price that they're willing to pay. Supply, demand and access works to adjust prices. You stop at a convenience store gas station and decide you want a coke. You go into the store and you can buy a coke right now for $1.99. Or you can drive all the way home and get your coke that you paid 75 cents for in that 12 pack in the fridge. You know it's costing you a bit more, but you pay for the convenience factor, aka availability buying it at the store. But you get it right now.

Gordon Gekko is my hero. :)

greed-lackofabetterword.gif

But he's right. Entrepreneurism/capitalism cannot sustain itself without the basic floor of greed. It's the driving force. Which is simply wanting more than you already have, regardless of the reason. You're a vendor? You buy a part for $40 from the supplier, and sell it for $47 to cover your overhead costs and a few bucks for your bank account. Greed keeps you going. Supply and demand helps as well. You say you want your business to be successful. Which is just another way of saying you're greedy. Doesn't mean you're a bad person. Sometimes greed is based on a more altruistic reason- you want your family to be better off and not have to worry about finances when you die. Or you use some of your company's profits to donate to less fortunate people.

The problems arise when greed turns into an obsession. Scrooges aren't tolerated well in society. If you see a super-rich person, it's likely there's only a few reasons they got rich in the first place. Many work their azzes off to meet/exceed their goals and build their wealth. Some have a gifted talent and exlploit it for money, such as a novelist writer, movie star, star football or basketball player, while some have no real talent and people throw money at them anyway (Kardashians come to mind- retards that people paid money too to watch that huge car-wreck- it just boggled my mind). I think the Beth Dutton character from Yellowstone TV show summed it up best- you get rich by either someone giving it to you (lottery or inherit), stealing it, working your azz off, or learning to suck a d**k like you lost your car keys in it (marrying into money...or making a sex tape).

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And yet another perfect one liner that I can't take advantage of because this is a family oriented forum.........................................Meh.

Nick

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I've offered a price on the last full day at the end of the day and it's been accepted. I've also been told a price and immediately was like "SOLD!" that's how I got my stand-mounted vise. practically new vise bolted to a pipe stand, welded into a nicely painted classic car wheel, which then had cement in the base to keep it upright. "How much?" "$50" ..."SOLD!" I don't bother to negotiate on bargains like that, he's already given me a great price!

I'm much the same way. Some people feel that they must negotiate. If I feel the listed price a fair price, I won't necessarily try and get it for less. I couldn't be bothered to dicker back and forth to save $5 on something that I already think is a good deal. I always think back to a vacation in Cuba years ago. Some lady was dickering with a vendor over some trinket and the amount she was haggling over was ~$1. I'm like, c'mon, you've already spent thousands to be down here. That measly little dollar means virtually nothing to you. But I bet she sure felt good about herself not getting taken by some Cuban vendor.

The other 'tactic' that gets me is the "What's your best price?" Either pay me asking, make an offer or get lost! Don't expect me to just start dropping my price for you

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If I see something a little higher than the norm I'll ask someone what their bottom dollar is. Everyone has a price on their mind of what they would let something go for, all how the deal is approached and the tone. You can tell pretty much right away if you'll be able to work something out with someone.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
If I see something a little higher than the norm I'll ask someone what their bottom dollar is. Everyone has a price on their mind of what they would let something go for, all how the deal is approached and the tone. You can tell pretty much right away if you'll be able to work something out with someone.
Selling stuff for my boss is a big part of my job, and really annoys me having dealing with people. Most are totally apauled that you won't take half of what you have it listed for cause they are willing to come at the butt crack of dawn on the weekend because they are bringing cash money

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Selling stuff for my boss is a big part of my job, and really annoys me having dealing with people. Most are totally apauled that you won't take half of what you have it listed for cause they are willing to come at the butt crack of dawn on the weekend because they are bringing cash money
yeah, anytime someone asks me what my bottom dollar is, I tell them the special price for them is the asked-for price. and if they want to come at oh dark hundred and interrupt my weekend sleep-late then it's going to cost them also, the same price.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Some people are that simple minded to where money is the only thing on their mind and have absolutely no respect for the other person they are dealing with.

Me I'm over here in my own lane..

IMG_6400.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor