What the heck happened to prices ?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Most of that has to do with your insurance or bank willing to accept minimal punishment if they are willing to pay restitution
That depends on what was stolen. I have yet to see an insurance policy on chainsaws, lawn mowers, and other common stuff you see stolen.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
That depends on what was stolen. I have yet to see an insurance policy on chainsaws, lawn mowers, and other common stuff you see stolen.
Yeah, I know when my place got broken in to they stole a bunch of jewelry and other stuff. But the insurance company pushed for restitution instead of more time for the person they caught

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
That would be their risk assessors and actuarials talking. Getting the money back into their pockets makes more sense to them. Dumping the perp's *ss in the can is just the street equivalent of sending him/her to college for criminals.

Nick

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Online selling as a complete disaster. I have tons of stuff I'd like to get rid off, but if it's not worth at least $50, I feel like it's not worth my time to deal with endless BS.
- "Is it still available" and then...nothing. FB should get rid of that damn button. I'm sure people use that as a way to save something for later rather than adding it to their saved list
- People flaking out at the last minute. I was selling a pair of very lightly used pipeliner winter work boots. About 2/3rds the price of new. Guy was supposed to come by and then was like, "oh sorry, I don't have the cash now" WTF?
- Lowballers
- People asking questions about things that are clearly stated in the ad. I have no problem taking more pictures, or providing more detail - at east it shows they may actually be genuinely interested in the item
- People who don't pay attention to the items location. FB is terrible for not adhering to your search criteria. Trying to sell winter tires and had someone willing, until they realized I was ~100 miles away
- Scammers. Same winter tires. Someone was like, I'll pay your asking price but I'll send a courier with the cash to come pick it up. Apparently it's some kind of scam where the supposed courier requires you to pay some kind of deposit or insurance. FRO. Blocked

Same goes for buying something. Unless it's a smoking good deal, I'd rather just go any buy it somewhere rather than dealing with someone else's crap

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea that location one, I put in my posting where it is..basically the town. But again that requires people to actually read the posting.

People are garbage, best ROE when dealing with them is to avoid all possible interaction. 🤣

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Greed.

That is about is simple as it gets. When the economy since the 1980's, has slowly faded into a easy cash grab for the people who already are doing well?!

Well. Everyone suffers except the people profiting off it.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Me being mostly a buyer as opposed to being a vendor, I am of kind of at the other end of the spectrum in most ways. First of all I never did Face-F*** to start with and all the hooror stories that have arisen about it over the several decades it has been in existence have only re-enforced my determination to stay far far away from it.

What lights me off is a vendor who will put up an auction for an item that is neither all that rare or particularly valuable and hang an obscenely high price tag on it. No bidding, no offers, just take it or leave it. Getting to the point where it is more leave than take. I often wonder if this a case of that individual having someone nagging on them to "get ride of that junk" and high balling the price to avoid having to make the sale.

The other instance is where an item is old and relatively scarce in quantity, but there is no market for it because of exactly those reasons. Sure, the price ought to reflect the real market value but if no one is interested at that price after the item has sat for a while then, if the vendor still wants to sell it, why not entertain an offer? I know that some buyers will deliberately throw out a very low offer just to see if the item was over valued by the seller as part of a "fishing" expedition to see if someone would bite and buy it, but I do swap meets and to me a lower offer is an invitation to treat, that being discuss the price and what the vendor might accept in lieu of what was being asked.

And yes it goes both ways in that case. You can get a vendor that has marked his prices slightly higher than what he/she knows is the running market value just to be able to dicker a little and still get mostly what they really want for it. Or you can get a vendor that is prickly and won't take offers at all. That's the one that I will visit one last time about a 1/2 hour before the end of the meet just to see if they are still sticking to their story or have become willing to knock off a few bucks just to avoid having to load the item back on the truck and drag it home again. In that scenario, you get about a 50/50 response; some see the light and will deal, others just get more miserable; pass 'em by.

On line, if I win an auction, that price gets paid immediately. The faster the vendor gets paid, the sooner I get my part, but that is JUST Me.

Nick

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Me being mostly a buyer as opposed to being a vendor, I am of kind of at the other end of the spectrum in most ways. First of all I never did Face-F*** to start with and all the hooror stories that have arisen about it over the several decades it has been in existence hve only re-inforced my determination to stay far far away from it.

What lights me off is a vendor who will put up an auction for an item that is neither all that rare or particularly valuable and hang an obscenely high price tag on it. No bidding, no offers, just take it or leave it. Getting to the point where it is more leave than take. I often wonder if this a case of that individual having someone nagging on them to "get ride of that junk" and high balling the price to avoid having to make the sale.

The other instance is where an item is old and relatively scarce in quantity, but there is no market for it because of exactly those reasons. Sure, the price ought to reflect the real market value but if no one is interested at that price after the item has sat for a while then, if the vendor still wants to sell it, why not entertain an offer? I know that some buyers will deliberately throw out a very low offer just to see if the item was over valued by the seller as part of a "fishing" expedition to see if someone would bite and buy it, but I do swap meets and to me a lower offer is an invitation to treat, that being discuss the price and what the vendor might accept in lieu of what was being asked.

And yes it goes both ways in that case. You can get a vendor that has marked his prices slightly higher than what he/she knows is the running market value just to be able to dicker a little and still get mostly what they really want for it. Or you can get a vendor that is prickly and won't take offers at all. That's the one that I will visit one last time about a 1/2 before the end of the meet just to see if they are still sticking to their story or have become willing to knock off a few bucks just to avoid having to load the item back on the truck and drag it home again. In that scenario, you get about a 50/50 response; some see the light and will deal, others just get more miserable; pass 'em by.

On line, if I win an auction, that price gets paid immediately. The faster the vendor gets paid, the sooner I get my part, but that is JUST Me.

Nick
Online I ask twice what I need out of something because everyone just lowballs you anyways.

Swap meets, these days charlotte or moultrie, I might add 20% to give some dickering room on big ticket items, and, usually bring a pile of 'I don't care about this' junk that I just tell people to throw an offer out on. 50% of the time I take their first price because it's fair enough, and then another 25% I counter a little higher than their offer and it still sells.

The items at the end of the meet deal? Never sold any by doing a big price cut since not hurting for cash or space. I do buy stuff, but usually it's more me asking what they want and they say name a price.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Me being mostly a buyer as opposed to being a vendor, I am of kind of at the other end of the spectrum in most ways. First of all I never did Face-F*** to start with and all the hooror stories that have arisen about it over the several decades it has been in existence hve only re-inforced my determination to stay far far away from it.

And yes it goes both ways in that case. You can get a vendor that has marked his prices slightly higher than what he/she knows is the running market value just to be able to dicker a little and still get mostly what they really want for it. Or you can get a vendor that is prickly and won't take offers at all. That's the one that I will visit one last time about a 1/2 before the end of the meet just to see if they are still sticking to their story or have become willing to knock off a few bucks just to avoid having to load the item back on the truck and drag it home again. In that scenario, you get about a 50/50 response; some see the light and will deal, others just get more miserable; pass 'em by.

Nick
I've offered a price on the last full day at the end of the day and it's been accepted. I've also been told a price and immediately was like "SOLD!" that's how I got my stand-mounted vise. practically new vise bolted to a pipe stand, welded into a nicely painted classic car wheel, which then had cement in the base to keep it upright. "How much?" "$50" ..."SOLD!" I don't bother to negotiate on bargains like that, he's already given me a great price!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor