What to do with an ‘80 Pontiac 301

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Where is the motor located? I'm in north Carolina so I may be interested.
It's in (relatively) coastal Maine. After he tried turning it over for us we confirmed that I remain interested in trying to pick it up to being back onto Georgia during a summer trip up north.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
It's in (relatively) coastal Maine. After he tried turning it over for us we confirmed that I remain interested in trying to pick it up to being back onto Georgia during a summer trip up north.
Sounds good, if something happens and you don't get it let me know please

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
Great news.

If you don't mind holding it until we get a trip together up that way we'll try to work out grabbing it. It wouldn't be a last minute thing, shouldn't be a problem giving you a week or two notice before we go up that way for the wood stoves and such.

This is the expected home for it I mentioned. View attachment 199395

Has some major paint chipping now quickly and poorly touched up from the gm primer defect on the top rear quarter surfaces, but, cleaned up ok after coming off the jack stands it's sat on for the past few years.

Question, if I've got an old tire or mini pallet or both to rest it on, would you have something that could help load it onto the rear floor of a truck?
Hi CK, sorry I missed your reply, I’m sure we can come up with a tire or pallet, just give us a little notice. Also, so I don’t miss any future correspondence from you it’s best to use my email tvigue1 at gmail dot com.
- Tony

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
Hi CK, sorry I missed your reply, I’m sure we can come up with a tire or pallet, just give us a little notice. Also, so I don’t miss any future correspondence from you it’s best to use my email tvigue1 at gmail dot com.
- Tony
And yes we have a Kubota tractor with a bucket that my friend uses for doing exactly that. He is a retired GM mechanic and works from his home garage specializing in Pontiac muscle cars and 70’s era GM Pickups.

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
- Tony
Hi CK, happy 4th, just checking in to see if you are still planning a trip to Maine this summer.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I had an 80 Pontiac 301 once. I lit it on fire. That was, of course, after holding the throttle pinned til it knocked.

DSCN4751.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hey, CK, not sure if this is of any use to you, given how far south your home base seems to be but I do happen to have a Corporate bolt pattern (BOP) style 3 spd automatic that came out of a 70's Pontiac donor car. The neighbour used to race Pontiacs and was always on the lookout for donors but had no use for the t-missions so they tended to get palleted and set aside. The one I scored came from a primitive lean-to that he had created out of an old garage door. It was scheduled to go the scrappers but I laid some do-re-mi on the dude and he set it aside for me.

If you pull the stick, the ATF is nice and clean and red, but the front pump needs to be replaced as the input shaft splines are beyond redemption so a rebuild is probably the order of the day. It is free to a good home and would likely fit that 301. Catch is, of course, getting it down to you. i have already gone through the hassle of one border crossing this year and am disinclined to want to deal with the socio-medico-paranoia again any time soon. Even shipping it as a gift requires a B form that provides it with a provenance and value. Thing is, no one around here is interested in Poncho's from that era and the few who dig them are into the three pedal, row it yourself sept.

I suppose, Maine being just below Southern Quebec, that if I got it that far somehow, someone could always pop over the border and grab ii but I don't know anyone from that locale who is on this board and would be willing to act as an intermediate link in the delivery process.

Nick

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
Great news.

If you don't mind holding it until we get a trip together up that way we'll try to work out grabbing it. It wouldn't be a last minute thing, shouldn't be a problem giving you a week or two notice before we go up that way for the wood stoves and such.

This is the expected home for it I mentioned. View attachment 199395

Has some major paint chipping now quickly and poorly touched up from the gm primer defect on the top rear quarter surfaces, but, cleaned up ok after coming off the jack stands it's sat on for the past few years.

Question, if I've got an old tire or mini pallet or both to rest it on, would you have something that could help load it onto the rear floor of a truck?
Hi again CK, just checking in again, don’t want to be a nuisance but just curious if you will be able to pick up the 301? Do you pics or any more info?
Tony

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
I drove some non-turbo 2nd gens with 301s in them and they were OK for what they were if you wanted to cruise and weren't after speed.

As I keep talking about randomly, I have an 85 firebird I can finally touch again as 5 years later it's out of evidence no-touchy hell. I know the 3rd gen platform borrowed heavily enough from the 2nd gen that the front subframe.can use the exact same motor mounts as a 2nd gen car. So, any parted firebird that was Pontiac powered can donate its crossmember mounts and they work.

At some point I know I NEED an engine for it, the one in there could be used for fogging mosquito duty or run it to screen a destroyer, it'd serve either purpose. And it's sat 5 years since.

I keep saying if I can find a good running poncho I'd like to make it Pontiac powered instead of chebby.

Rear end is a borg-warner 9-bolt, 3.23 gears. Should be sufficient I'd think. Has a 700 trams so I'd need to run an adapter, no biggie. Everything else would likely be OK from spring weight to cooling capacity. I'd save the original just because, but, even though it's an 85 SE it's really not super desirable as such.

That'd be the goal for it anyways, assuming it could be worked in. I'd have to see how time looked though, getting all the way up into Portland-ish territory might be stretching the trip length just a tad too far up there and might need to let someone else grab it. I've got to see how much time we have to work with for the trip.
Hi CK, my buddy wants the storage space that the 301 is sitting in so unless you plan a trip up to the Portland area soon, I’m going to have to let it go for scrap. Let me know asap please. Thanks, Tony

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
I drove some non-turbo 2nd gens with 301s in them and they were OK for what they were if you wanted to cruise and weren't after speed.

As I keep talking about randomly, I have an 85 firebird I can finally touch again as 5 years later it's out of evidence no-touchy hell. I know the 3rd gen platform borrowed heavily enough from the 2nd gen that the front subframe.can use the exact same motor mounts as a 2nd gen car. So, any parted firebird that was Pontiac powered can donate its crossmember mounts and they work.

At some point I know I NEED an engine for it, the one in there could be used for fogging mosquito duty or run it to screen a destroyer, it'd serve either purpose. And it's sat 5 years since.

I keep saying if I can find a good running poncho I'd like to make it Pontiac powered instead of chebby.

Rear end is a borg-warner 9-bolt, 3.23 gears. Should be sufficient I'd think. Has a 700 trams so I'd need to run an adapter, no biggie. Everything else would likely be OK from spring weight to cooling capacity. I'd save the original just because, but, even though it's an 85 SE it's really not super desirable as such.

That'd be the goal for it anyways, assuming it could be worked in. I'd have to see how time looked though, getting all the way up into Portland-ish territory might be stretching the trip length just a tad too far up there and might need to let someone else grab it. I've got to see how much time we have to work with for the trip.
Hi CK, are you still interested in the 301?
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor