What to do with an ‘80 Pontiac 301

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin

This person is located in my area, bought 200-4r transmissions off of me two different times. The last time he came to my house and I showed him my LeMans, he seemed excited about it and said if I ever sell it to contact him. The idea of a modified turbo 301 would be pretty cool for it, I admit, but the amount of work/money for the performance didn’t excite me as much. But would of been cool for sure.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
To unfortunate people really knock on the 301 they are great engines besides the parts availability. There's also a group on Facebook especially just for those oddball engines called oddball Pontiac Motors those guys over there love those 301s.

If you're interested in selling the four barrel intake I have a friend of mine who is looking for one local to me..

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a 1968 Firebird convertible project. Right now I have a 455 in it. A turbo 301 would be different and with gas these days make more sense. My problem is that I insist on using a set of 1967 RA/HO exhaust manifolds. With the 301 being one inch shorter deck height the manifolds may be hung too low. They may also interfere with the side-of-the-block mounted oil filter. Also the motor mount holes will require the adapters. A '68 bird is a lot lighter than an '80 TA so I think the turbo would be a decent motor choice. I would also use an MSD timing retard box and Holley Pro-jection for some modern performance. I won't know until I actually try and fit it so this is all speculation right now. But the gas problem I don't think is going away anytime soon. 20mpg vs 10 is a big difference.

SJ-400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2021
To unfortunate people really knock on the 301 they are great engines besides the parts availability. There's also a group on Facebook especially just for those oddball engines called oddball Pontiac Motors those guys over there love those 301s.

If you're interested in selling the four barrel intake I have a friend of mine who is looking for one local to me..
Thanks and I may have to eventually part it out but I’m waiting on CK80 to see if he wants the whole engine free.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is a tip: the '80-'81 heads use an air injection pump to force air into the exhaust at the front of the head. Since no one ever keeps that pump the trick is to take a freeze plug and fill that hole in the head. Any '77-'81 301 freeze plug set includes the plugs that go in the holes. There are two at the firewall side that always get plugged. Just use those same plugs at the front. A good parts place that has DORMAN drawers will have a selection of freeze plugs and you can match up the two plugs you need.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thanks and I may have to eventually part it out but I’m waiting on CK80 to see if he wants the whole engine free.
cool beans. lmk. :)

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I checked this weekend and it still turns over easily.
Great news.

If you don't mind holding it until we get a trip together up that way we'll try to work out grabbing it. It wouldn't be a last minute thing, shouldn't be a problem giving you a week or two notice before we go up that way for the wood stoves and such.

This is the expected home for it I mentioned.
Screenshot_20220527-170230_Chrome.jpg

Has some major paint chipping now quickly and poorly touched up from the gm primer defect on the top rear quarter surfaces, but, cleaned up ok after coming off the jack stands it's sat on for the past few years.

Question, if I've got an old tire or mini pallet or both to rest it on, would you have something that could help load it onto the rear floor of a truck?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Now I would love to see that second gen with a 301! I sometimes grab motors and even though it's a PITA dismantling and re-assembling, an engine hoist is perfect for lifting up into a truck. In my salad days two of us could lift a 301. The entire engine weighs what a bare 400 block weighs. As an official old fart, I bring a hoist.

Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Where is the motor located? I'm in north Carolina so I may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor