What to do with my 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I think all I'm gonna do until after winter is this. I'll replace the cap, module, rotor, coil, wires, and plugs. Give it an oil flush and change, with a can of Restore added. Get dual with glass packs (sorry, I love them lol). Set the timeing and adjust the carb. And remove as much of the emissions stuff as I can and still keep it running right.

That along with a shift kit (TH350) and my 3.73 rear end and the car should be pretty fun to drive.

I have one other question. What is the proper way to adjust the mixture screws on a quadrajet? The way I used to always do it was hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust each side until I get the highest vacuum possible. Then I would do it over a few times. Is there anything else I should be doing?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
don't do a motor flush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
using thinner oil or ATF is ok, but the flush additives clean the gunk out of the bearings which creates too much clearance and you wind up killing the motor. diesle oil might be good too as it has a high detergent level.
it's a non-computer carb right? if so then highest vac is the way.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the info on the motor flush. And its a non computer controlled carb. Yay! lol

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, no motor flush!!!! I use to run a Valvoline out in Minnie. Needless to say it caused us some problems with older and higher mileage vehicles. :eek:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I don't know if it makes a difference. But the car only has 44,000 original kilometers (about 27,000 miles) and was driven by an old lady.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
but you don't know how it was driven or maintained. if she just did 2 or 3 mile hops to the grocery store, the oil never had time to heat up and burn off any water/condensate or for the additive package to start working.
also, if she only drove at very low speeds/RPM's there could be a ridge at the top of the cylinders. rods heat up all the way and expand past where they have before, rev the engine hard and you could break a piston or rod.
i once worked on an estate/security car, it was driven everyday, all day, but at 10-15MPH. it did NOT like 3000rpm!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well all I can say is I'm glad I mentioned it on here. Or else I would have gotten it flushed lol.

But OK, what about a transmission flush?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
as to the trans flush, as long as the fluid isn't black or burnt, you're OK. i like to add a bottle of Lucas trans additive to the fluid after a change. just in case.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, good to know. I think this thread probably saved me a lot of money and head-ache lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor