What to use on heater box for sealing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
On my ac/heat box on the firewall, I noticed it had some kind of sealant that never dried hard on the top lid. What is this goopy stuff and where do I get it? Also, I bought a new heat/ac box seal for the firewall from OPG. Do I need to use a sealer on it with the new gasket or install dry?

bbarbulo

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2014
Windsor ON
Acousti-seal from LePage is very similar to what you describe. Its like a thick tar in a caulking gun. Its messy but nicer than roofing sealant products.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It's 3M strip caulk. Pricey but is just like original.

But it wants to stick to anything so it helps to wet your fingers to help smooth it out and keep it from sticking to yourself.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08 ... Caulk.html

08578.jpg

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
When I did mine I was going to paint it and the inside of the car and the underside all at the same time as well as the frame (I did not like the gloss black I had originally painted it) the butyl that is mentioned is ok to use and is close to what the factory used but in my opinion a quality urethane sealant is the best choice for this. Sealant as come a long way in 35 years since my car was built we should try to use what we have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 1,286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 913
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,070

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Another proponent of 3M strip-caulk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor