Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Green Prestone - 50/50 mix.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
After doing some research on this and talking to the mechanic I use for the fleet of work trucks (all Silverado 2500's) I manage, I'm planning to run the yellow universal all make, all model compatible long life coolant in my GP. I intend to run it 50/50 with distilled water or I'll just buy the 50/50 pre-mixed. This is what I'm running in my 08 GMC already. The mechanic I use for the work trucks flushed the coolant in my truck when my health was bad and I wasn't up to doing it and he switched it over at that time. He runs this stuff in everything and has had zero issues. We plan to run it in Dad's 62 Galaxie and we are considering switching the LS swapped 78 Z28 over to it as well. We had Prestone Dexcool in the Galaxie for years but we recently suffered a heater core/heater control valve failure in it that the Dexcool is getting blamed for. The Camaro has Prestone Dexcool in it right now.
I've been using the same type for the last 15 years in my daily drivers and my regal with no problems

Reactions: 1 user

Zeus785

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2018
I use the AutoZone 50/50 universal in everything, no issues, I am curious about the Evans though long term

TomDisab

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2016
Has anyone used the waterless coolant/anti-freeze? From what I've been reading, it SOUNDS like the best of any.

I use Evans waterless in my 90, 91 Firebirds and my 87 Monte Aerocoupe. It's a bit pricey but I don't drive the cars much and it's nice to know that the metal's are not corroding.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I've read never to use any Dexcool type coolant in any cast iron motor. It contains a chemical that in the presence of water and air will rust iron, producing a brown sludge. People I don't know posted this a few years ago, and I've never used it, so I can't really say, but I did some homework and the chemical explanation "seems" to make sense. Just thought I'd add to the marketing conspiracy theory paranoia mix. :D

I use old school green stuff.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
50/50 ethylene glycol and water

I have read some articles in the trade magazines that say the "universals" all contain OAT (dexcool) in some quantity.

FWIW, at work I mandated that we buy what is specified from the OEs when replacing coolant for collision work. Only took a couple of persnikity customers that blew up upon finding green-gold "universal" coolant in their formerly blue /red/orange/pink/green coolant reservoirs for management to see my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor