What type of coolant are you running

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Still 100% water- we're talking coolant mixes.:p

I knew someone was going to comment on that...I got stopped in a road check and the cop did not believe me when I said I had a couple of beers cause he could not smell anything, when I told him it was coors light he said that explains it, he cannot smell water..:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thanx for that video. Between my new alum. rad and new Dart alum. heads I think I'm going to go that route.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanx for that video. Between my new alum. rad and new Dart alum. heads I think I'm going to go that route.

but then there is this....the temperatures he is talking about is metric, 180 C is 356 F

Last edited:

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
In the summer I run distilled water with Royal Purple Ice and when I park it for the winter I drain it and install distilled water with antifreeze 50/50 that I saved from the last winter...I used to use Water Wetter but the Royal product is better.....:)
Even though the radiator is pressurized due to the cap, doesn’t running straight water have a much lower boiling point?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That Brit is a TOTAL *******. All he addressed was other problems that cause a system to over heat. He even admitted that the Evan's has a higher boiling point.
I'm going with ALL NEW parts in the system, I just want to be assured that if I'm sitting in traffic on a 95 degree day in bumper to bumper traffic with the a/c on, with a 500 plus HP. engine with alot of alum. components and an expensive auto trans, that I'm not going to overheat.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Even though the radiator is pressurized due to the cap, doesn’t running straight water have a much lower boiling point?

if you have a 15 lbs cap the boiling point of straight water is 249 degrees which is over the point where I would shut down the engine. We ran our circle track cars with distilled water and Water Wetter with an 22 lbs cap and that engine got over 240 regularly without throwing any steam on the windshield. Water removes the heat from the block better than antifreeze and the Water Wetter helped the water to run cooler without interfering with the waters ability to absorb the heat. The Royal product was not out a few years ago in Canada so the only product available was the Water Wetter. The Water Wetter and Ice will lower the temperature of the coolant

• Informative

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
One clearing question, if you didn't have to pay for it, would you use the Evan's waterless?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
One clearing question, if you didn't have to pay for it, would you use the Evan's waterless?

before I could answer that I would like to find out how the waterless adsorbs the heat vs water. The sender units we have tell us what the coolant temperature is but not the actual temperature of of the block which means if the coolant is not absorbing the heat the engine can be overheating without us knowing. I am interested in running the engine at around 200 and want to know the temperature of the block through the temperature of the coolant. That is one reason why I run distilled water, it pulls heat from the block better then a 50/50 mixture and it pulls the heat even better with an additive like Water Wetter so I can depend on what the temperature gauge is telling me

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
if you have a 15 lbs cap the boiling point of straight water is 249 degrees which is over the point where I would shut down the engine. We ran our circle track cars with distilled water and Water Wetter with an 22 lbs cap and that engine got over 240 regularly without throwing any steam on the windshield. Water removes the heat from the block better than antifreeze and the Water Wetter helped the water to run cooler without interfering with the waters ability to absorb the heat. The Royal product was not out a few years ago in Canada so the only product available was the Water Wetter. The Water Wetter and Ice will lower the temperature of the coolant

Doesn’t the antifreeze also offer some anti-corrosion? If running water during the warmer months, could the engine be stored without any coolant? The only thing I would worry about is the fact that there would still be some water left in the block.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Doesn’t the antifreeze also offer some anti-corrosion? If running water during the warmer months, could the engine be stored without any coolant? The only thing I would worry about is the fact that there would still be some water left in the block.

I thought about just draining the engine for the winter but I also worry about if any water was sitting like in the heater core it could slip it so I just drain out the water and pour the 50/50 mixture and run the car for a few minutes until it's bled of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor