What year 350 is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBlack_HFC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Can anyone tell me what year 350 I have? I, nor my mechanic can figure it out to change the power steering pump.

Attachments

• 20130501_194950.jpg
    20130501_194950.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 372
I would start by getting a new mechanic. On the top of the block, by the distributor, you will find the block data that you can decode to tell you everything you need to know about the engine date. The power steering pump looks like a standard GM pump that they installed on probably hundreds of thousands of cars. I would bet that if you walked into an auto parts store and asked them for a power steering pump for a 1985 Monte Carlo with the 305 Chevy motor, they would hand you that pump. Again, find a new mechanic.

There is no way to tell without casting numbers. That being said your mechanic sounds like a real piece of work considering the small block chevy is one of the easiest engines to work on.

He was saying that there was a difference between the one with the bolt and some kind of press on mechanism. I'm not sure. I kinda thought he didn't know what he was doing though. Now I'm stuck >__<

GM has been using power steering pumps with press on pulleys for many years now, which is what you appear to have in the photo that you've posted. They're very common, and should be available just about anywhere. You shouldn't need to ID the engine to get the correct pump for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor