Whats the farthest you driven your gbody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
My cutlass has been the daily driver for the last 3 years and has survived many long distances trips summer and winter.

For the most part these drivetrains are bullet proof but wear items like ball joints, tie rods, fuel pump / filter, battery / alternator, cooling systems, wheel bearings, brake calipers / shoes / pads / wheel cylinders can leave you at the side of the road. Luckily these are cheap, plentiful and easy to fix on the spot.

Old car times that can leave you completely stranded or needing a tow can be a rotten exhaust, brake lines, gas lines and other strange parts you woundnt think about like broken springs, electrical issues, rotten rear frame. Most of these are easily caught with a dilligent visual inspection before your trip.

For the most part if your up on your maintenance or periodically poke your head under it to check things out you will likely have caught the odd ball issues at the same time and the trip will probably be problem free. Otherwards if it a neglected old car you could be rolling the dice.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My car was driven from Brooklyn NY to West St.Paul, Mn. and back. Shortly afterward we got back in the car and drove from NY to N.Miami Beach and back. It's been driven back and forth from NY to Fla. several times.
No overdrive...3.08 gears, 27.4" diameter tires...approx. 2800 rpm @ 80mph. It seemed to be at home at that rpm range and speed.
...oh, and this was about 25 yrs ago. The car looked like some hoopty with primer spots all over, but it ran great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Doesn't hardly count now but my '87 went to CA and back from KS not too long after I got it in late '86. Spring of '87 I think it was to see an old friend. Had a great time and got surprisingly good gas mileage [22-23 I think]. Since then, I've been down to TX once, CO once, and KC, MO a few times but that's only 2 hours.

Since I bought it new intending it to be a collector keeper car, I am paranoid as hell to drive it very far here in the mid-west. Winter is [well] winter and in the spring/summer we have this propensity for blowing up these baseball size hail storms without warning so in the last 20 years it only comes out for short good weather joyrides and generally just later summer and fall car shows and events when nasty storms are less likely.

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
About 400 feet through the yard. It wasn't so much driving as it was being pulled by my dad's truck. But I had to do some steering, so it still counts!

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I guess pushing doesn't count? I saved a bunch of money on gym memberships moving the coupe around by hand over the last 16 years...

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
About a 1hr back road trip... Almost caught on fire lol poor 307 never ran the same after that.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Back in November of 2002, I drove my newly acquired '79 Cutlass 1,100 miles each way from Minneapolis, MN to Boulder, CO and back.
The car was bone stock and had a 260 V8, TH350 and unknown rear gears. Got about 17 mpg or so averaging 75-85 mph...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor