What's your most 'ghetto-rigged' repair/mod on your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Worst ever for me was when the shifter cable broke in my 68' Firebird. I had a coat hanger stashed under a fender for in case I locked my keys in the car (dope smokin' days) so I straightened it out and ran it through the shifter cable housing , looped it onto the gear selector lever, then made a loop inside the car to push and pull the hanger and shift gears. Ran it that way for a while until I could afford a new cable. Another time I was far from home and I broke a gear shift arm on a fourspeed in my Malibu. I found a big stiff wire holding a sign up at a construction site right there so I ran it down to the transmission so I could pull on it and get into 4th gear. I get back on the highway, run through 1rst and 2nd, then yank it into 4th, and run that way all the way home. Luckilly it was early in the morning, no traffic, and expressway all the way home and I didn't need to stop.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I had a 76 celica when I was living in Alaska in the early 90's. That thing was rusted out like every car up there over ten years. The passenger fender was so rusted out that it would flap up and down when you went down the road. Well one day it got so bad that it was about to fall off. At that time I knew nothing about working on cars and had even less money to spend on anything but beer and other vices. I took some nails from my dad's work bench and nailed the fender down with about 3 or 4 different type of nails. When I was done it almost looked like some one took a nail gun to it. It was ugly but it held. It even held when my drunk friends and I used the hood as a sled and when we were bored with that we took the car down the mile long sledding hill. The nails held the fender on until the time I drove the car through a big snow bank and then off a five foot cliff. That celica didn't last much long after that.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
carmangary said:
85montemj said:
my zip tie plug wire separators. they actually cleaned up the engine really nicely. i saw it on tv somewhere. look close and you can see them:

normal_engine1.jpg

I guess you would call those "wire togetherors"/

well they do separate!!! the trick is to wrap one tie around all the wires loosely. then you put ties in between each wire perpendicular to the main tie. the are the black ones in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor