Wheel Fitment Guide

will.s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2021
BC
Maybe forget tire rotations and put a 255 on the back while keeping the 235 up front
Rear backspacing is good , I’ve never ran that combination on the front but I believe it should fine
Yeah that seems to be a popular combination. I had to get the tire shop to order in the 235's so I don't know how keen they will be to send two of them back. Logically I figure if I was good running 235's all the way around on 15x7's which was the original plan then adding width to the wheels won't make any real difference, just don't really like making these kind of decisions without being able to see it first.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
First choice in wheels didn't pan out but I already ordered the tires in 235/60r15... Have read so many posts and threads I don't think I can keep it all straight anymore. Want to run the same size on all four corners so I can rotate. Suspension is all stock and not planning major changes any time soon. Car is an 80 Cutlass, basically just a Sunday driver. Looking at 15x8 Outlaw II's in black, I like the look of steel wheels but figure if I'm spending the money I may as well save a little weight.

- 3.75" backspacing going to work front and back? I know consensus seems to be 0 offset for best fit, 1/4" out shouldn't be enough to cause any headaches?
- is a 235/60 going to be to be "too small"? I know they will fit the wheels and should look fine on the front, a little concerned that it won't look like enough tire for the rear though.
How many miles each weekend/Sunday are you putting on the vehicle?

will.s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2021
BC
How many miles each weekend/Sunday are you putting on the vehicle?
Enough to make rotating them have some benefit. My commute to work is 100 kms round trip so over a summer I'm sure I put close to 10,000 kms on. I guess by Sunday driver I mean more that it's just driven for fun, no drag racing/autox/etc. And with the price of tires these days I'd like to get as much life out of them as I can.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Yeah that seems to be a popular combination. I had to get the tire shop to order in the 235's so I don't know how keen they will be to send two of them back. Logically I figure if I was good running 235's all the way around on 15x7's which was the original plan then adding width to the wheels won't make any real difference, just don't really like making these kind of decisions without being able to see it first.
Up to you for sure ,you are the guy paying the bills
To me it’s worth the few dollars I’d lose to have the look I want
I doubt that the tire shop will get upset with a change in the order , they are in a service based industry
Should be no issue accommodating a paying customer
Good luck with whatever you decide

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Up to you for sure ,you are the guy paying the bills
To me it’s worth the few dollars I’d lose to have the look I want
I doubt that the tire shop will get upset with a change in the order , they are in a service based industry
Should be no issue accommodating a paying customer
Good luck with whatever you decide
Unless they have to sit on the pair of tires not wanted or have to eat extra shipping costs. Might be push-back if so....

will.s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2021
BC
I think I'll probably just try the 235's all around since they are already here. Worst case I don't like it and order up two more that are bigger.

Mostly just concerned about potential for rub with the 8" wide wheels and 3.75" backspace. Rears should be fine but I would really rather not have to end up rolling the front fenders or something.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think I'll probably just try the 235's all around since they are already here. Worst case I don't like it and order up two more that are bigger.

Mostly just concerned about potential for rub with the 8" wide wheels and 3.75" backspace. Rears should be fine but I would really rather not have to end up rolling the front fenders or something.
They'll be farther out for sure which can be an issue w/the fender lips @ the 26" height. Hopefully you'll be OK.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Unless they have to sit on the pair of tires not wanted or have to eat extra shipping costs. Might be push-back if so....
Maybe if it’s a small mom n pop store it might be an issue
He said they were ordered , may still be able to change order
But anyway I’m not trying to change anyones mind lol
235s will be fine , just giving an opinion 😊

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Maybe if it’s a small mom n pop store it might be an issue
He said they were ordered , may still be able to change order
But anyway I’m not trying to change anyones mind lol

235s will be fine , just giving an opinion 😊
Same here. Just offering a valid alternate possibility as far as returns go.

will.s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2021
BC
I'm sure if I asked nice enough they would send them back, not sure if there is any issues with availability of other sizes.

They'll be farther out for sure which can be an issue w/the fender lips @ the 26" height. Hopefully you'll be OK.
I could go 15x7 instead but they have the same backspace at 3.76" and then my worry switches to them being too tucked in.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor