Wheel Fitment Guide

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
My bad. Can I fit camaro tires on the Malibu?
Can they fit a Malibu? Yes. Can they fit your Malibu? You'll be the best person to answer that.

What's your vehicles ride height? Has it been lowered?
Suspension combo?
Current tire size you mentioned was 215/70-14 which calculates to 25.85" tall. The 245/35-20's you mentioned are ~26.75 tall for about a 1" difference in height. You didn't mention what size (width) or back-space/offset for the wheels so we def don't know. You mentioned "too wide" but don't say where? Rubbed on the inside? Stuck out past the sheet-metal?

You need to know the backspace/offset of the Camaro wheels you're interested in. They came w/18's & 20's in 2010 as well as other possible sizes depending on the options the car came with. What Camaro wheel can make a difference. A quick Google search tells me they had some 18x7.5" steel wheels w/245/50-18's @27.64" tall but you'd need to know the back-space/offset to determine if they might fit 'as-is', or if they might fit w/spacers, or if they won't fit. Based on the comment the 245/35-20's wouldn't work, the 18" factory Camaro steel styled wheels that popped up when I googled are almost an inch taller.

As 80/MALIBU/COUPE posted 18's w/decent back-space/offset & within a certain range (tire size) can, will, & do fit.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users
Dec 9, 2021
Can they fit a Malibu? Yes. Can they fit your Malibu? You'll be the best person to answer that.

What's your vehicles ride height? Has it been lowered?
Suspension combo?
Current tire size you mentioned was 215/70-14 which calculates to 25.85" tall. The 245/35-20's you mentioned are ~26.75 tall for about a 1" difference in height. You didn't mention what size (width) or back-space/offset for the wheels so we def don't know. You mentioned "too wide" but don't say where? Rubbed on the inside? Stuck out past the sheet-metal?

You need to know the backspace/offset of the Camaro wheels you're interested in. They came w/18's & 20's in 2010 as well as other possible sizes depending on the options the car came with. What Camaro wheel can make a difference. A quick Google search tells me they had some 18x7.5" steel wheels w/245/50-18's @27.64" tall but you'd need to know the back-space/offset to determine if they might fit 'as-is', or if they might fit w/spacers, or if they won't fit. Based on the comment the 245/35-20's wouldn't work, the 18" factory Camaro steel styled wheels that popped up when I googled are almost an inch taller.

As 80/MALIBU/COUPE posted 18's w/decent back-space/offset & within a certain range (tire size) can, will, & do fit.
Thank you very much

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
I have a 1980 Chevy Malibu. It currently has 215/70R14. I have a set of wheels that are 245/35R20 but are too wide. I was wondering if camaro wheels could fit. Say 2010 and beyond. If anyone has some advice, I’d appreciate it

HERES WHAT I FIGUERED OUT

WILL THE "TIRE" FIT YES ,, WILL THE WHEELS NOT WITHOUT AT LEAST 2" SPACERS
AND JUST CRUISING SPACERS ARE FINE IN MY OPINION BUT DRAG AND AUTO CROSS ,EHH UP TO YOU
PEOPLE RUN C5/C6 WHEELS ON CAMAROS WITH 2" SPACERS AND AUTO CROSS THEM PRETTY HARD SOO
AGAIN EHH UP TO YOU

YOU WOULD HAVE TO MESSURE YOUR AVAIL BACKSPACE ON THE CAR "MATING FLANGE TO FRAME "

AND BACKSPACE OF THE WHEELS YOU WANT TO USE " PUT WHEEL FACE DOWN AND PUT FLAT EDGE ACROSS BACK SIDE OF WHEEL/TIRE
MESSURE FROM MATING SURFACE TO FLAT EDGE
TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHEEL/ TIRE CLEARANCE TO FRAME
AND A LIL MATH AND BAM! SHOULD GET YOU CLOSER TO MAKING YOUR DECISION

I WAS ABLEW TO TEST FIT THESE "SS/ZR1" WHEELS FROM A GUY I SOLD MY RALLIES TO
HE WANTED TO TRADE SO HE LET ME GRAB A FRONT AND REAR AND TEST FIT
BUT I WENT WITH THE CASH FOR MY REAR DIFF
THEY WERE STAGGERED 17" 245 FRONT TIRES AND 275 REARS
BUT I HAD TO RUN A 2" SPACER / ADAPTER HE ALSO HAD "ODDLY ENOUGH"
BUT HAD PLENTY OF CLEARENCE THIS IS ALSO NO SPRINGS INSTALLED FOR COMPRESION RUBBING

JUST MY 2 CENTS ON THE MATTER AND MY EXPERIENCES

1639577384965.jpeg

1639577394098.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021
HERES WHAT I FIGUERED OUT

WILL THE "TIRE" FIT YES ,, WILL THE WHEELS NOT WITHOUT AT LEAST 2" SPACERS
AND JUST CRUISING SPACERS ARE FINE IN MY OPINION BUT DRAG AND AUTO CROSS ,EHH UP TO YOU
PEOPLE RUN C5/C6 WHEELS ON CAMAROS WITH 2" SPACERS AND AUTO CROSS THEM PRETTY HARD SOO
AGAIN EHH UP TO YOU

YOU WOULD HAVE TO MESSURE YOUR AVAIL BACKSPACE ON THE CAR "MATING FLANGE TO FRAME "

AND BACKSPACE OF THE WHEELS YOU WANT TO USE " PUT WHEEL FACE DOWN AND PUT FLAT EDGE ACROSS BACK SIDE OF WHEEL/TIRE
MESSURE FROM MATING SURFACE TO FLAT EDGE
TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHEEL/ TIRE CLEARANCE TO FRAME
AND A LIL MATH AND BAM! SHOULD GET YOU CLOSER TO MAKING YOUR DECISION

I WAS ABLEW TO TEST FIT THESE "SS/ZR1" WHEELS FROM A GUY I SOLD MY RALLIES TO
HE WANTED TO TRADE SO HE LET ME GRAB A FRONT AND REAR AND TEST FIT
BUT I WENT WITH THE CASH FOR MY REAR DIFF
THEY WERE STAGGERED 17" 245 FRONT TIRES AND 275 REARS
BUT I HAD TO RUN A 2" SPACER / ADAPTER HE ALSO HAD "ODDLY ENOUGH"
BUT HAD PLENTY OF CLEARENCE THIS IS ALSO NO SPRINGS INSTALLED FOR COMPRESION RUBBING

JUST MY 2 CENTS ON THE MATTER AND MY EXPERIENCES

View attachment 188525
View attachment 188526
I bought some spacers after I did a test fit on the rear. But the spacers I got are too small. Still rubbing on the frame. So I’m going to need bigger spacers and along with that longer bolts to fit them on. I’m just wondering what camaro rim/tire setup I can put on the Malibu without having to modify anything else.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
I bought some spacers after I did a test fit on the rear. But the spacers I got are too small. Still rubbing on the frame. So I’m going to need bigger spacers and along with that longer bolts to fit them on. I’m just wondering what camaro rim/tire setup I can put on the Malibu without having to modify anything else.

yea def gonna need to be bigger then those they look 1/4 -1/2" need to deff take the measurements to get in the ball part ..
keep those, might be able/ have to use them on the front

Guessing 2" / plus
something like this pic
might need longer studs just to run these idk ..
good luck on your research and math
post pics of your build too

or if your running spacers/ adapters you can change to any bolt pattern you want
ford ,dodge ,import, european
but you gotta learn offset / et / and backspacing numbers .. becomes a fun math equation of possibilities ..
good luck

disclaimer im not responsible for your decisions lol

Attachments

• 1639588096158.png
    1639588096158.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
yea def gonna need to be bigger then those they look 1/4 -1/2" need to deff take the measurements to get in the ball part ..
keep those, might be able/ have to use them on the front

Guessing 2" / plus
something like this pic
might need longer studs just to run these idk ..
good luck on your research and math
post pics of your build too

can also run bmw wheels
or if your running spacers you can change to any bolt pattern you want
ford ,dodge ,import
but you gotta learn offset / et / and backspacing numbers .. becomes a fun math equation of possibilities ..
good luck

disclaimer im not responsible for your decisions lol
Obligatory PSA . . ....
While BMW wheels are similar & very close in bolt pattern, they are not the same & failure can occur using them w/o adapters. Wheel studs are meant to handle loading in a straight pull of force. When installing the BMW wheels, the slightly different bolt pattern puts a 'side load' on the studs as well. When the failure happens, it usually shears off all 5 studs @ the same time. It doesn't happen immediately, but the forces applied eventually can cause the studs to fail.

Reactions: 1 users

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
Obligatory PSA . . ....
While BMW wheels are similar & very close in bolt pattern, they are not the same & failure can occur using them w/o adapters. Wheel studs are meant to handle loading in a straight pull of force. When installing the BMW wheels, the slightly different bolt pattern puts a 'side load' on the studs as well. When the failure happens, it usually shears off all 5 studs @ the same time. It doesn't happen immediately, but the forces applied eventually can cause the studs to fail.

post edited

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
post edited
Wasn't calling you out for the record. There are many that feel the BMW wheel swap is perfectly legit & only 'dooms-dayer' types feel it's a concern. But the fact is Physics are @ play when it comes to how metal reacts when stressed in ways it's not intended to be stressed. I like to mention the info in case people never thought about the possibility.

As always, we're only responsible for our own actions. If you choose to mod something, always do your due diligence on the impact of the mod especially when it comes to Safety on the open road w/others.

Reactions: 1 users

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
Wasn't calling you out for the record. There are many that feel the BMW wheel swap is perfectly legit & only 'dooms-dayer' types feel it's a concern. But the fact is Physics are @ play when it comes to how metal reacts when stressed in ways it's not intended to be stressed. I like to mention the info in case people never thought about the possibility.

As always, we're only responsible for our own actions. If you choose to mod something, always do your due diligence on the impact of the mod especially when it comes to Safety on the open road w/others.

I fully understand .. im not offened at all
and yea even in my post of information ..

i even tossed my own disclaimer in lol

even tho he is trying to put 5x120 wheels on his car already
same as the bmw was the only reason i put it .. but its fixed no problems never the less (y)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor