Whelp..... progress? Hellcat engine to cease production after 2023 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
And then there was a time that a lot of people thought the OBD1 CCC was newfangled high tech...and later a flip phone with a 1.5" diagonal screen that could take 720p pictures! Out of this world... :) Today, people just ASSUME 100% of the population has a cell phone or interwebz.

And I also remember when electricity was less than 7.5 cents per kwh. That'll never happen again.

It's humorous to me that they'll build as many EV's as they can, yet I haven't seen ONE public charging station get installed around here. Maybe they have, but I haven't heard of one. They have a Tesla charging station across the river, but it's been there a little while. I've only seen at most 2 cars at one time using it. It's fine if you can hang out at the house and charge your car overnight, but if you travel, wtf? Oooh, look! Fast charging....as quick as 10 hours from empty to full! It makes no sense to make an EV that can go 450 miles on a single charge, if your destination is 1000 miles away. Yeah, you could get one of those fast chargers and get 100 miles in 35 minute charge...that's still going to take logistical planning and a system that can handle it. No spur of the moment trips with an EV. So even if you stop every 50 or 60 miles to "top off" the batteries all the time, you're still going to add several hours to a 1000 mile trip in an EV. I think a hybrid would be better for this transistional phase.

People that depend on their clapped out 2010 Ford Focus gas car to get to work everyday are going to have to squeak by and choose whether to fill their gas tanks, heating gas/oil tanks or fill their bellies. And they AIN'T going to be sitting in line waiting to buy an EV. Not going to do it. How's that $15/hour minimum wage working for you now?

It's sad to see the ICEs get killed because the car companies think they have to switch to EV immediately. This kind of crap should happen organically, not deadline forced.

Its not quite as bad as you make it out to be. Yes, a long drive or road trip would require more planning and stops but the car does all the calculations for stops and preplans everything, plus running the bottom 3/4 of the battery for your trip decreases charge times significantly, . For the majority of the population driving an EV would a great replacement for their ICE vehicle.

Charging times aren't that bad and you would NEVER do a 100% charge. A 220v 25amp charge would be not far off of running an electric stove, if done at night it wouldn't kill the grid in most areas, california excluded.
Tesla-Wall-Connector-Charging-Speed.png

For a technology in its infancy, its going to get WAY better. The new Tesla batteries technology announced Oct 2020 is going to add 16% range and drop per kWh price by 14%.

Allegedly this is the delay on the cybertruck, getting this new battery ready for its release. I can't WAIT until my cybertruck shows up.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Its not quite as bad as you make it out to be. Yes, a long drive or road trip would require more planning and stops but the car does all the calculations for stops and preplans everything, plus running the bottom 3/4 of the battery for your trip decreases charge times significantly, . For the majority of the population driving an EV would a great replacement for their ICE vehicle.

Charging times aren't that bad and you would NEVER do a 100% charge. A 220v 25amp charge would be not far off of running an electric stove, if done at night it wouldn't kill the grid in most areas, california excluded.
View attachment 187571

For a technology in its infancy, its going to get WAY better. The new Tesla batteries technology announced Oct 2020 is going to add 16% range and drop per kWh price by 14%.

Allegedly this is the delay on the cybertruck, getting this new battery ready for its release. I can't WAIT until my cybertruck shows up.

I don't run my stove that long... and what happens to the average home that is charging 1 to 2 EVs while running the dryer and making cookies in the oven, the kids are showering and using hot water, the furnace kicks on, and so on...

The pound of flesh (via taxation and profit objectives) will always be had. We use less electricty today due to technology efficiencies (LEDs and flatscreen TVs) but pay more for it than we did when we consumed more (incandecent bulbs and picture-in-boobtubes). Let's not pretend it will be any other way with electrification of vehicles.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I don't run my stove that long... and what happens to the average home that is charging 1 to 2 EVs while running the dryer and making cookies in the oven, the kids are showering and using hot water, the furnace kicks on, and so on...

The pound of flesh (via taxation and profit objectives) will always be had. We use less electricty today due to technology efficiencies (LEDs and flatscreen TVs) but pay more for it than we did when we consumed more (incandecent bulbs and picture-in-boobtubes). Let's not pretend it will be any other way with electrification of vehicles.
You're right, it needs some refining and its going to need to evolve. The tax structure is already here in Canada, good old carbon tax, but I am sure we will have to find another 30% of our income to contribute with it so the people who have less don't have to get their fingers too dirty.

I hope saskachewan comes with us when we bail on the east. You seem alright. lol

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Electric vehicles will drive hydro rates through the roof. Massive grid upgrades will be needed, possibly help bring sky high price levels. I think Hydrogen cell technology should be used as much or more than electric if practical and slowly replace/retrofit gas stations. Just like the good old days, a world wide Pandemic and no internal combustion engines.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You're right, it needs some refining and its going to need to evolve. The tax structure is already here in Canada, good old carbon tax, but I am sure we will have to find another 30% of our income to contribute with it so the people who have less don't have to get their fingers too dirty.

I hope saskachewan comes with us when we bail on the east. You seem alright. lol

Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Moe wants to make us a nation within a nation like Quebec... I think we are getting pretty fed up around here with the progressive narrative. I would vote for an exit.

I wonder if Eastern Canada will stop importing Saudi oil to fuel their generators and start running them on good intentions? Or come crawling West.

---

This is my buddy Jim's car, it is stock everything less the tune (shift points and fueling only (no timing adjustment yet), tires and some insulation under the blower:

He'll probably be in the 9s with a tick more tuning next year. Now that's progress. My envy is real.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Has anyone seen new large scale electric plants being built, or higher capacity high-tension lines being strung to meet the new demand? Those projects talk a lot longer than 5 years even to roll out nation-wide.
In my part of Pa we just had one power plant (coal) get shut down & wiill have two more (also coal, one about 2-3 miles away from my house) shuttered by 2028. No plans to replace them. More infrastructure that'll sit & rot cause it won't be used.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
In my part of Pa we just had one power plant (coal) get shut down & wiill have two more (also coal, one about 2-3 miles away from my house) shuttered by 2028. No plans to replace them. More infrastructure that'll sit & rot cause it won't be used.
If you really wanna see how not to do it, we did the same thing a couple years ago, started ramping down output and coal production, started looking to swap over to natural gas.... THEN figured out we were going to have rolling brown outs during this winter and panicked to restart the coal plants, re-staff 3 shifts of miners and powerplant workers that have all relocated after being laid off and restart the coal plants....

And the world thought electing a substitute drama teacher to the leader of our country was a bad idea....

We showed them. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
All of my cars are paid in full. There is no way I’m going to go out and buy a glorified golf cart to “save” money or the planet.
I used to work at a Tesla certified body shop. The cars, while very advanced, they’re built like sh*+

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Back home in Colorado Springs, they also recently shut down a coal plant. . . but not before they brought a natural gas plant online. But I think the gas plant has been on since I moved there. I know it was planned many many moons ago, makes me wonder how much reserve capacity the new gas plant has vs demand right now.

All of my cars are paid in full. There is no way I’m going to go out and buy a glorified golf cart to “save” money or the planet.
I used to work at a Tesla certified body shop. The cars, while very advanced, they’re built like sh*+

Are they getting any better? I seem to recall panel gaps being something that they buckled down on.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Back home in Colorado Springs, they also recently shut down a coal plant. . . but not before they brought a natural gas plant online. But I think the gas plant has been on since I moved there. I know it was planned many many moons ago, makes me wonder how much reserve capacity the new gas plant has vs demand right now.

Are they getting any better? I seem to recall panel gaps being something that they buckled down on.
I no longer work on them daily, but I do work on them once and a while. The newer ones I have seen haven’t been much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor