This was racing!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Thanks for posting.

Back when it was a true stock car race! Plus how many drove those cars home after the race. Strap the door shut, smoke break, no problem. Love the 14 car makes competing. I think that was the era when a Jaguar won a race and was the only foreign brand to win until Toyota did a few years ago.

I always had an affinity for the history of racing because of the rawness, the simplicity compared to today. Would have loved to watch some races on the huge wood tracks that are long gone. Motorcycle racers were killled on a regular basis racing on the wood tracks with bikes without brakes so their speed would not be encumbered from brake drag. The guts it took to do that just boggles my mind. The tv show about Harley Davidson that was on recently showed how that racing was and how crazy too.

Racing is still dangerous today, even with all the safety features, but you have to hand it to all those men and women who put there life on the line racing 50-90 years ago.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Yes, back then your body was the crumple zone - metal clad dashes, solid steering shafts, no head rests, lap belts, no safety barriers, cobbled together pit crews, bias ply tires.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I love old racing videos. I tend to favor drag racing videos from the 60s, but NASCAR is alright for me from the 80s and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor