Where did all the transmission shops go???

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ps. Pay the shop who isn't in a rush, is detail oriented, and covers a longer warranty period.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Depending on the year it is possible the computer will code the problem and eliminate for a full rebuild, basically is it an electrical issue(servo) Rebuild kits are cheap either way an it's not rocket science.
Scrap yards are full of transmission's an they normally give warranty, just flush them after it checks out.
Transmission has to be maintained like everything else and people seem to forget this, $100 for flush and fresh fluid every 100,000 km or 62000 miles is cheap insurance.
Where l live there are 3 transmission shops within 5 miles, so not sure on why it's an issue for you.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe your google search is "transmission rebuild" which could these days give you a completely different result than a "transmission rebuild" search ....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The truck is now at the second shop I called. I forgot to add they will add updates to the computer, said it senseless to not to do so with the rebuild.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The truck is now at the second shop I called. I forgot to add they will add updates to the computer, said it senseless to not to do so with the rebuild.
Let's hope yours goes better than mine did I'm still living that nightmare

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Back in the '80's/'90's Transmissions by Lucille was the shop to go to in the Pittsburgh area. As long as they are still using the same work pratices & quality I should have any issues. I thought they fadded away cause I haven't seen or heard any of their ads since I moved out of the city.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK, after a week, the truck is done & they are on the way to deliver it for no extra charge! $1800, rebuilt & updated the controler, deactivated the 8/4 feature. As long as the transmission holds up we'll deal with the distance between the house & shop for any future work. This is awesome service.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They just dropped the truck off, an hour drive. On the invoice it shows a 35% discount each on labor rate & on parts!!!:banana::banana::banana:
That is a savings over $900. If I have any good luck for anything this year I must of used it all up on this. Now is my drive time & see how it does on the job Monday to ensure they are my go to transmission shop.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I blew the trans out of my 2500 a year ago. I had a very reputable shop redo it (in the middle of plow season)- cost me $2500. He was only giving 12 mo./12k mile. I'd say you got a deal.
Sad part is that this friend of a friend has been diagnosed with advanced ALS, and has his shop for sale....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor