Where to find a rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
It's going to a daily driver, however there's a lot of open road in North Dakota, so I want something with power ready when I need it. I think I'm looking for a mild street performer. I'm not too concern about gas mileage. It's the price that anyone pays to drive an older car. I'm happy to oblige.

It has a Pontiac 301 v8. I don't plan on keeping this engine too long though. Not enough performance and its getting up there in mileage. I want to put a SBC 383 in it next summer.

I wanted to do it this summer, but I never heard back from the telephone company. So now I'm just taking whatever I can get in this shitty economy. :roll:

I like that site even better because I'd like to get disk brakes all around. There's a lot of deer out here and I'd like to make my a car a little more safe for highway driving. My current brakes feel underwhelming.

On that site they list Open differential, traction lock, truetrac, detroit locker, arb air locker, and spool.

If anyone wants to explain the differences or a comparison of them that would be great. Or even a link to where I can learn more, that would be great too!

Thanks for all your help wants a wagon! I really appreciate it.

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
sui_winbolo said:
It has a Pontiac 301 v8. I don't plan on keeping this engine too long though. Not enough performance and its getting up there in mileage. I want to put a SBC 383 in it next summer.

You might want to consider a 350 or 400 Pontiac for your car.

It will drop right in, use your accessory brackets, and the chevy will do neither of those things.

And the can be cheap.

Chevy guys like to talk about them being cheaper and more powerful. Those are all generalizations that are more or less meaningless.

If you are careful, a Pontiac can be plenty cheap and still put grins on your face.

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
An open diff basically means that one wheel will spin without the other.

The other bits are choices of positraction mechanicals. The basics are that both will spin, putting your new-found power to the road.

You should read up on the plusses and minuses of each by running them through google or calling the provider you plan to do business with.

Here's a guide to read: http://www.maliburacing.com/tech_rearend_swaps.html

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
This yard has a Pontiac 350 in ND: Hazer's Auto & Truck, Inc. USA-ND(West-Fargo) 1-800-343-6673

I am not sure of the condition.

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
Mmkay, I remember reading about the different types of rear ends. Now I remember I have an open differential. Thanks for the link, I'll get into reading up on that.

Okay, about the Pontiac engine, I heard it was more expensive to buy a newer rebuilt Pontiac then Chevy.

I was looking at jegs and I really like the 383 I found. It was putting out 420HP & 420TQ I believe for $4,000-5,000. I can find the link again if you want it. What I really liked was it was covered by a pretty decent warranty.

I can't jump on anything right now because I am broke and don't start work soon. Know of any good websites that builds up Pontiac engines? I'm all for dropping a Pontiac engine in, especially since you say it will bolt up easier.

That's what I'm thinking for price wise, an engine for under $5,000. Preferably something that has a warranty.

I want my car to be a daily driver, so that's why reliability is important to me.

Wants_a_wagon

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
If you prefer a Chevy, just know you'll need to get frame pads (the things that sit on the frame that the motor mounts bolt to), the accessory mounts from a 305 in a Monte or El Camino, and I think you'll have to either put in all new fuel lines, or jury-rig tubes from the existing fuel lines across the frame to the fuel pump (you're asking for vapor lock).

On the Pontiac, you can talk to these people: http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/eng ... ml#Engines

Tell them you want a basic daily driver 350 and you're on a budget, and ask what the price/warranty is.

Next, you (may) need a trans. What do you have now?

edit: Here's another builder -- http://www.tinindianperformance.com/pon ... ations.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor