Where to weld back frame brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Guys- spoken much on this forum but I have question- WHERE do I weld the 1" square tubing across the back end frame? If I do it across, I think I'll interfere with the gas tank Straps because of where the rear, drivers side bushing mount is? Do I weld it underneath bottom to bottom of frame across as close to the bumper flange is? Here are pics of each side for reference

Guys- spoken much on this forum but I have question- WHERE do I weld the 1" square tubing across the back end frame? If I do it across, I think I'll interfere with the gas tank Straps because of where the rear, drivers side bushing mount is? Do I weld it underneath bottom to bottom of frame across as close to the bumper flange is? Here are pics of each side for reference

image.jpg

I would install the body before I welded a bar between the rails. That way the rails will be in the right place and you can temporally install the gas tank to mark the locations for the bar.

I propose a different approach. Make two Y-shaped plates that bolt on the bumper side of the the bumper shocks. If you notice, the two frame rails have the same three-bolt ends, one side flipped 180 degrees. If you look at the attached picture, moving the bar any further inboard, and you'll run into the gas tank and tire well.
DSCN5947.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I would also make the square tube brace removable by welding a flange on each end...making it a bolt-on piece.

I have mentioned it before, I used a hidden hitch and upgraded the bolts to attach the hitch. It has come in handy a few times and it ties the rails together

I saved the receiver hitch when I scrapped my original wagon in 1995. Not sure why I kept it. Then I found another wagon, so I dug it out of the dirt behind the shed and had it powdercoated. Adds ballast to the back, plus protects the gas tank in case of a rear-ender. Bonus - it stiffens the frame as well. I can attach my Grandfather's little red trailer that can easily haul an axle back from the boneyard.

Attachments

• DSCN5838.JPG
    DSCN5838.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN5219.JPG
    DSCN5219.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 235
Thanks guys- I should have mocked it up before I took body off frame, rookie mistake. I wanted to weld if prior to the frame being powder coated, but I think I'll have to wait till body is back on. I think I will have to bolt it to the bumper side and get longer bolts to compensate. This upgrade makes a lot of sense to add stability to everything. While I me at it, have any of you re-Inforced your lca's with products from vendors like ur parts stuff or elsewhere? With a 450ish hp motor going in, I want to make sure I'm not ripping anything off the frame while I have it ready. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor