Where'd my rim go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't feel too bad. i once had to tow a very good professional mechanic and his track ready camaro because he didn't tighten down the lugs.

I had a wheel fly off my car on two occasions. (three if you count the one time it happened at a go kart track, hello foreshadowing). One time was the pass. side rear wheel, while driving about 35-40 down a windy road on the way to work. Sheared off the studs (thru-lug forged studs) and off goes the wheel into the woods lucky there were trees there or it probably would have gone to someones house just beyond. The cause was the fabbed up control arms that i was using on the ford 9" rear which were not set up properly, causing the rear to be slightly misaligned. The second time happened on a highway at like 55mph going off a ramp to a neighborhood...front drivers side wheel. Sheared studs again and had to locate the wheel the next morning in the woods. Luckily there was "minimal" damage somehow. The rear wheel well had to be pulled out a bit after the first one and i'm just replacing the fender from the front mishap. I never did figure out how the second one happened but had to replace a bunch of parts and redo the front brake lines. At least I can control the damn thing when the wheels go flying off. 🙂

I have had a few run ins with wheels coming off, first time was in my 79 cutlass. Cruising down a back road, car seemed to lose its "drive", being that it was having transmission troubles, I figured it finally blew. As we were flat towing the car to see what had happened, the left rear slammed to ground, axleshaft and wheel hit the car a couple times then took off for the ditch. Next, not in a G body but, I was driving my friend's Jeep home from a mud bog/fest, as we were passing through a small town (30mph), left front of the jeep dropped, and out came a 32 inch super swamper (that was fun), luckily it didn't hit anyone or anything. Lesson learned- offroading with over size tires and aluminum wheels is a bad idea (lug nuts have a tendancy to loosen). My malibu, Taking off from a stoplight, got on it a little, as soon as I clicked it in second I heard a nasty noise. I immediatly let off the gas and pulled over. Put the car in park, got out and gave the car a little push......yup, exploded another carrier. While flat towing it home (no I didn't learn my lesson from the first time 😳 ), we took a left hand turn and I saw the axle and wheel start exiting the car in my rear view mirror, caught it in time, was able to pull over before it came all the way out. Called a tow truck after that. :wink:

i had that happen tooo....... my good friend had a 67 nova wagon, aluminum headed 406, 4-speed, disc brake 9 with 4.11's.
well, he wanted to go drag racing so we went out to the track and all he did was spinspinspinspin( had 18 inch budnicks on it)
so that was a complete waste of time, still ran in the low 13's. so since my transmission was out of my 76 nova, i figured we would try out my 275/60-15 bfg drag radials on his car. had to do a little pounding in the right places to get them on, but we did it. so we went out to the 3beep race way( gable road as its called, really thick rubber laid down there about 100 feet long( its where we street race ya know) and he says you drive, so i do. clutch drop from 5000, about 2 foot of spin and it hooks,HARD, and i run it up to 6500 and pull second( not using the clutch) and BANG, there goes the drivers rear, so long to the quarter, the studs all sheared off, and the car hit the ground. thank god for lakewood slapper bars( we just slapped them on the day before) we drove to the tire wher it stopped, and then drove it home dragging the *ss the hole 4 blocks, man i think i still owe him for that one, but it did ruin one of my tires, maybe we're even? :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor