Where'd my rim go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
OK, this is true but I tell the tale with humility and shame. After just purchasing my 80 ss Elky I was eager to get it looking real good. I spent an entire Fri. and Sat pulling the front control arms out, springs, shocks, tie rods, ect sanding and derusting all parts. After de-greasing and painting all parts it was time to throw it all back together. I was feeling a time crunch, for my young son loves to go to the sonic with Dad and get an ice cream on Sat. night. A few hours later the jack dropped and we were off. Just a mile from the house it was an easy trip, so I thought. No sooner I left the neighbor hood I hear something un-familiar, before I could say $hit, my rim passes me at 35 miles an hour and I come to a screeching halt with sparks lighting the dim country road. In the process, the tire wrinkled the fender beyond what a shop hammer could fix. So there I was, dumb founded and in shock. My first thought was to find the lug nuts, find the rim and put it back together and go home. Well, that wasn't so easy. No kidding, my tire rolled over 1/4 mile down the road. So far that I gave up that night and ended up finding it the next morning in some bushes. The fender and paint cost me over 1,000 not to mention the utter embarrassment of calling the wife and having her bring me a spare tire!

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Sounds like he forgot to tighten the lugnuts after dropping it down.

Done that before . . . :oops:

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
did it once in a prerunner f150 with 35's on a 115 degree day! it didn't go 1/4 mile,but it was still pretty rough pushing that b*st*rd back down W. Main st in el centro, ca!

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Yup, you got it....
Forgot to tighten the lugs :(

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
:lol: .... sorry... thats just funny... :D

:runs away:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Good thing no one was hurt. I can almost guarantee you will not let that happen again!! :lol: :lol:

We all make mistakes, sometimes major, sometimes not. But I am sure we all learn from them.

I tried putting my belts back on in the dark with a flashlight as my only source of light. That ended up with a belt getting put on wrong and falling off, causing my p/s to go out and my engine to overheat. That ended up with an $80 tow :oops: :oops: I know I will never try doing that in the dark ever again!! :lol:

CaStylin

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2009
Houston, Tx
That sucks... Funny as hell, but still sucks...

I've personaly never done that but have done things just a bad... like doing an oil change and forgetting to put the bottom plug back in which pretty much let the oil just run through the car and into the container of old oil ... that was a long shamefull walk to the store since i had no wife at the time

CaStylin

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
CaStylin said:
That sucks... Funny as hell, but still sucks...

I've personaly never done that but have done things just a bad... like doing an oil change and forgetting to put the bottom plug back in which pretty much let the oil just run through the car and into the container of old oil ... that was a long shamefull walk to the store since i had no wife at the time

CaStylin

I did something like that once when I was a kid, on my dirtbike... Only I did put the plug back in, I just didn't tighten it. I rode it for about 10 minutes and stopped to talk to my friend who had pulled out on his bike into my field to find oil dripping out and smoke puffing out of the crank case. Luckily I followed the trail of oil right to the plug, put it back in TIGHTENED it and filled it back up. :lol:

I was so glad the motor didn't fry. Although to tell you the truth every thing is so loose in that motor it pry wouldn't seize if I rode it all day completely dry. It's been up over the handle bars in water dead more than once, and it's got thousands of hours on it. So I don't think that hurt it much worse than it already was. :lol:

That's one thing you can say for the Japanese, they build their motors tough as nails. If a 10 year old kid can do all that to one, and it still runs 12 years later... That's saying something if you ask me.

That was the only time I did something like that that I can remember though. Other than being an idiot, I reused a water pump seal on my one car and it sprayed antifreeze all over the place.

historyg

Apprentice
Sep 12, 2009
Brooklyn
ok since were posting silly stories up i have a few. Ever since i decided to become a amateur mechanic my garage has seen nothing but as i call it "learning experiences" or just plain old silly stuff

1) Friend and i installed a transmission on my civic put everything together dropped it, started it up and try to go, but nothing, after scratching are heads for almost a hour, we see the drive axle sitting on the floor.. :shock:

2) Friend needed to put in axles for his accord we get everything in pop them in then drive it, we then hear a noise and grinding. After pushing it around the block back to the garage we realized we didn't put them all the way in :?

3) friend put in new rotors, finished everything then he drops the car on one rotor because he forgot to put the tire on :wtf:

4) did a intercooler upgrade on a jetta, hooked it up went all out, went to drive it, no boost?, we get back and realize that we didn't put the silicon tubes on, the intercooler was doing nothing but just standing on the rad support :puke:

there is much more, most of the time these things happen because your just tired and want to get the job done, I have learned that cars need never to be rushed and if you take your time and double check everything you will always find a problem before it become a bigger problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor