Which book would be more useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Keeping a long story short, I picked up a Quick Fuel 650SS this weekend and it’s basically brand new. However, it has been sitting around a while. Smells like it had gas run through it but it didn’t sit around with gas in it, the bowls are spotless aside from the smell.

I don’t have any Holley books to go by for either tuning or rebuilding and have been going off of internet resources (forums) since I started.
I’m just going to run some carb cleaner through the new carburetor, then I’ll be putting it on my engine since it looks brand new.
And in this case, which of these books would be more practical to have right now?

The Rebuild book

Or the Tuning book?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tuning book until you’re ready to tear it down.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Definately David Vizard's tuning book.... if you look him up on YT, he has a wealth of great information to share with the hotrodder/racer communities, if you want the most and best out of your engine builds, you listen to this man religiously.

In addition to his books, may i suggest you get an AFR and vacuum guage setup, great devices to date to help you tune that carburator correctly... be aware you are in for a major tuning ride with that carburator, it has adjustable air bleeds throughout(main body/metering blocks) to custom taylor the fuel curve to your engines needs.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Definately David Vizard's tuning book.... if you look him up on YT, he has a wealth of great information to share with the hotrodder/racer communities, if you want the most and best out of your engine builds, you listen to this man religiously.

In addition to his books, may i suggest you get an AFR and vacuum guage setup, great devices to date to help you tune that carburator correctly... be aware you are in for a major tuning ride with that carburator, it has adjustable air bleeds throughout(main body/metering blocks) to custom taylor the fuel curve to your engines needs.
Got the book yesterday, and I’m actually astonished by what’s in it. All I really wanted for right now was the proper initial settings for a 4 corner idle carb, and I ended up reading for 3 hours.

I’m fairly certain I have a good vacuum gauge I used to attempt to tune the 600cfm Holley, but while I’ve got an AFR gauge, I can’t install the sensor. Too many spiders and too much dirt under the car right now. All I want is for this thing to start the car consistently, rather than needing to fight it every attempt.

And I’d rather deal with the semi-known quantity that this 650SS is as opposed to the impromptu hammer that I bought a year ago.
B5B1D105-2EB3-4B12-B23D-F24C063A2C83.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor