which carb to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
it's time to get the car rolling.. 350 olds, whats the best carb for these motors, should it be 670, 750 ? and is double pump better?, i'm lookin into hollys or demons, street car only not tracking it

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
honestly i wouldnt get neither holley or demon. for a street car with a small block i'd go edelbrock/carter afb or a tuned quadrajet. ive run plenty of edelbrock/carter afb's and they are great for the street car. they seem to be of a set it and forget and a holley always requires more tuning than a edelbrock/carter carb. and i would stick with a 670 or 625 edelbrock

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I would suggest a good custom tuned spreadbore carburetor, whether its a Rochester Quadrajet or a replacement HOLLEY or Edelbrock unit. The spreadbore is the best design for a street car 8) Nice small primaries, for optimum fuel economy. Then enormous secondaries, for when you lay into the throttle and demand big performance :twisted:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My top 3 choices in order:
1. Quadrajet
2. Quadra-Jet
3. Q-jet

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
78MC-BBC said:
for a street car with a small block i'd go edelbrock/carter afb or a tuned quadrajet.
X2 Holley's are great for the track but they are just too high maintenance for a reliable street car.

Reactions: 1 user

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
really.... q-jet... man the one i had on my 307 was from 81cutlass and sucked always had problems.... choke never worked right.. seemed like it would never stayed tuned trying to get something good to were i dont have to try and tune it to run like it should... ii didnt grown up with these carbs so i'm not an expert on tuning these things out.. , the motor just rebuilt to stock, 68 block, #8 heads i bought the motor 2 years ago, and never heard it run so i'm hoping all is good,but is there a difference from early 70's quadrajet

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you can find one that actually came from a 350 the jetting should be right on. A BOP version might be tougher to find than a Chevy but the only real difference is the angle of the fuel line inlet. You should be able to find a good core and buy a kit for less than $100. I'd probably look for one with a 70XXXXX over a 170XXXXX number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor