which g body was the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1980Gbody

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2007
Warren MI
i lover most g bodys but i would have to go wiht 78 to 80 monte carlo'si like how curvy they are

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
its all about the cutlass front end

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
1980Gbody said:
i lover most g bodys but i would have to go wiht 78 to 80 monte carlo'si like how curvy they are

I like the curviness of the Grand Prix, as well. It's a very understated curve... unlike the Monte, which has the big, swooping lines... the body on the GP gently bulges out behind the doors. Kind of like it has... er... hips.

My least favorite is probably the 2+2. Something about it seems... hacked together. And the nose is awful. I always thought that a great, alternate, nose for it would be something similar to the '84-ish Cutlass nose, but with the honeycomb screen and a tapered middle bridge. If that makes any sense at all. I'd Photoshop it, but... I'm lazy.

Also, I like the interior of the Grand Prix the best, followed by the Monte Carlo. Round gauges are the shiznit, and though the Monte had them too, I like the GP's execution the best.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Anybody that has been in or seen any "G" body's knows that Pontiacs are sportier looking and the interiors are far better than the others. Grand Prix's have more body lines and contours than the boxier monte's and cuttlasses. look at a Grand Prix fender's space from the wheelwell to the top of the fender....it is much sleeker and thinner (less boxier) than the others. Also look at the slight flare that Grand Prix fenders have compared to the flat fenders of the others. I haven't seen to many cuttlasses or monte's with bucket seats and a console!! most of them have a grandpa's split bench with the shifter on the column......BORING!!! plain interiors also complete with dummy lights (no gauges!) and a plain dashboard!! Pontiacs are known as the "sporty" experimental division of GM. Why else would King Richard Petty choose a Pontiac Grand Prix as his race car in the 80's ??? because it was more aerodynamic and had less drag than the others. Also...if you ever see that famous Pontiac "split grille" coming at you in your rear view mirror,,, you move out of the way quick because it is so intimidating!! and believe me.....people move out of the way quick!!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION!!!
ALL GBODY'S RULE........but i prefer the classy Pontiacs!!!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I like the Pontiacs with ralleys wheels instrument cluter & buckets. Never owned one because they never came with the 8.5, 15" wheels, performance suspension etc plus they are heavier but at least they are the sturdyiest with all the support braces. Overall I have to say the GN because of the all blacked out package & performance. Second I would have to say the 87 442 because of the euro nose, guage package with tach & 120 speedo, plus the 8.5 rear.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
ok

I have an 84 Grand Prix and HAD an 81 Cutlass 4 door.

Dash - Grand Prix by far. They are the coolest in that it looks like a true sports/race car. Not too mention, very rewarding to the owners who update the cluster with whatever gauges they want.

Exterior - Cutlass 2 door. The Buick gets a close second.

I will start another post ...DREAM G-BODY

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
I think the Grand Prix is all around the best

I now own my 3rd Grand Prix and I think they are the baddest regardless of sales. They have the most aggressive body style with a true coke bottle silouette. It is really a shame that they did not offer a true performance version (2+2 body package for one year is not enough). See my older posts for the description of the Phantom GTO I am trying to build (taking way longer than expected).

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
Re: I think the Grand Prix is all around the best

Stoopud said:
I now own my 3rd Grand Prix and I think they are the baddest regardless of sales. They have the most aggressive body style with a true coke bottle silouette. It is really a shame that they did not offer a true performance version (2+2 body package for one year is not enough). See my older posts for the description of the Phantom GTO I am trying to build (taking way longer than expected).

Well, even the 2+2 isn't even really "performance"... despite the body changes, it still had the same 165HP 305 that the standard GP had. For no good reason at all.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Yeah, thats why I think they don't count. The dealer made GT's looked awsome, but how many did they sell?

Imagine a 1984 20th anniversary GTO or a GTP or a Hurst car based on the Grand Prix. The car looked the baddest as it was and most of them have landau's, chrome, and too many options. Think they would have sold better with a little testosterone?

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
Stoopud said:
Yeah, thats why I think they don't count. The dealer made GT's looked awsome, but how many did they sell?

Oooh... you know, I totally forgot about the GT. THAT might be my choice for the greatest G-Body. Of course, there are like... what, three of them left on the planet? If that, even?

This is as close as you can get... this car is my personal hero:

www.cardomain.com/ride/862486

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor