Which oil filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1981ElCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2008
I just got my motor in recently and it is leaking oil from somewhere, looks to me like the oil filter is too small or something. Although the filter is tight , it seems to be leaking around the base. It is a PH5 Fram filter, it is what they sold me at Autozone. My old filter was bigger but I could not get the part number off it. What are you using?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you lube the gasket before installation? if you put the filter on weeks ago and just started the engine recently the gasket could have dried out.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i forget what i was using before but now i'm using a K&N filter that cross refrences with the fram ph5, same size and threads. i had to switch because the larger one wouldn't fit after i installed a cooler.
purolator 34361 is the equivalent.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There are probably 5-10 different height filters that have been used on SBC's since they switched to the screw on type in the mid 60's, so that is not the issue. My question would be are you running the factory oil cooler adapter which sandwiches between the block and filter? Those can sometimes be problematic (at least on my engine it is!), and leak at the filter's O ring due to warpage. Also, are you running the oil pressure sender on the side of the block? Maybe it is leaking from that hole. In my mutt of a car, I think I have the PH5 right now, which is the filter spec'd for a 9C1 (police) Caprice, which is what I pulled the oil cooler out of. I used to run one spec'd for a Chevy 3/4 ton truck since it had more capacity, but it has since been discontinued in the catalog and the PH5 is the only filter listed for anything. At least at Wal Mart that is.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Pull the filter off and make sure that the old "O" ring from the old filter is not still on the block, sometimes that happens and will cause a bad leak.

As for filters I run AC Delco filters ONLY on my chevrolet engines. A great filter for most SBC engines is a PF1218, it has a anti-drainback valve which is great for cold starts but the filter is around 6" long, the PF454 is a short filter(about 4" long) and will fit most anything else and give plenty of room for headers and such.

I would suggest changing the filter to something better than a Fram, they cut the quality on them so they can sell them cheaper at Wal-Mart. I like my engine enough that I don't want a $2.99 filter keeping my engine alive.

Randy

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Ditto for the PF 1218. I wouldn't run anything else for a SBC, unless your car has a clearance problem, and then the 454 like mentioned above.

For you FRAM guys, here's a tip. I have worked at Auto Zone and Advance and at both stores there is a higher instance of people complaining about FRAM filters than all others combined. They used to be good filters but after Allied Signal (which was owned by FoMoCo) sold FRAM out to Honeywell, the quality went into the toilet. The FRAM filters now have a cardboard bypass valve that is glued into a paper base to hold it on. They leak internally and many people complain of the oil draining back to the pan overnight and then the engine makes lots of noise during startup because it is running without oil! I advise everyone to look this up and do lots of research. If you have to, just buy a FRAM and then buy the same filter from a different brand, like even the cheapie STP filter from Auto Zone. Cut them apart and look at the difference. I promise if you do, you won't buy FRAM filters ever again.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oi ... .html#fram

Read that and see what you think!!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sheesh! looks like I will be buying the Purolator Pure 1 from now on! I would buy the Mobil 1, but they are just too pricey for my beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor