which pistons would work best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i have dart iron eagle heads with 2.02 valves and 64cc combustion chambers. i had stock 4 valve relief pistons in there. while breaking in my comp cams xe174 cam my valves were slightly contacting the pistons. it looked like the valves were hitting in the corners of the valve reliefs, i was looking at these, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB120-060/, i wouldnt for see any clearence issues with those but i would also like to get a balanced assembly so i was looking at this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13402E030/, but with those just being the 4 valve relief pistons i would think i would have the same issue. has anyone had this issue before or can anyone put in there two cents? thanks

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
If they were just barely hitting you could look into fly-cutting the pistons. What kinda lift numbers is on that cam?

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
heres a pic of one of the pistons

piston.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Are you sure a valve hit it or did some carbon build up just flake off?

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
there are a couple that the piston only hit the carbon but half of them i have very small knicks in the pistons. plus that was only from the break in, 2k rpms, so i imagine that 6k would put the knicks alot deeper.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
:bump:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Some less involved alternatives you could try:
-Thicker head gaskets.
-Retard your cam timing.
-Rockers with smaller ratio.
-Slightly "smaller" cam profile.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what are the full engine specs? decked heads, compression ratio, rocker ratio, pushrod length, head gasket thickness, etc.
honestly, i'm VERY surprised that you have interference issues. i have the same cam and a stroker with very tight quench, and good clearance, granted i also have d-dished pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor