Which Plug Wires and Crimper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And I will add - Taylor wires are much like like NGK plugs - you will not have one fail from a warrantable failure - the best warranty is the one that you never need to use.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Years back I used to run Mallory's universals & have a Accel cutter/crimper to make them. Now I have a set of MSD's universal Street Fire wires (hecho en Mexico). One other tip for making it easy to slide the boots on is to use something like dish soap to lube the wire. I prefer Dawn for the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I like MSD wires myself, although I’m sure somebody will come along and say how terrible they are. I haven’t bought wire sets that aren’t cut to fit since forever, and if you buy the MSD sets, they always include a small stripper and crimper combination tool with every one.
That's me😁. Seriously, they weren't terrible but the #1 wire cracked twice from heat. Another reason why I am not building a 403. I used the now discontinued Accel 25 ohm per foot race wires. I bought one of the last sets on clearance for $20, regular $100 for a spare set. Just more robust the MSD Superconductor wires. The Summit wires are decent.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I guess Im the only person that uses Moroso Ultra 40 ignition wire. I have them on my 406. I also used the Moroso sleeves on all but the coil wire.
As far as crimpers, I have one by Tool Aid. Its a ratcheting crimper and a few dies but I had to order the plug wire die since that didnt come in the case. The crimps look like factory. Im pretty sure Summit has their own crimper but Taylor and MSD also sell them.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As far as crimpers, have a really nice set of strippers with the ignition wire crimper. Plus I have the vise MSD crimper and the Accel set also comes with one.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always get the cut to fit wires, I have MSD on the Regal and Accel Pro 25 on the Monte but for any wire set I always use my ratcheting MSD Pro crimper and they come out perfect and factory looking every time. I like that it also has interchangeable jaws so you can crimp other terminals, not cheap but if you use enough it pays for itself.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor