Which Springs and Shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Hi guys;

looking to do a quick winter project to get some handling back in the wagon for not alot of money. The suspension is really worn out, and as fun as auto-crossing on the bump-stops is, i think i've had my fill.

My question is, which El-Cheapo springs and shocks would you put in there for a stiff/low ride?

The car sits pretty low as it is, i think the old springs were cut, and id like to keep the ride height as is.

I guess what im asking is, is there a stiff Moog or some factory replacement spring guide? Shock's ill probably go with the KYB-gr2's. They seem to a good enough job for me for a few years.

This is a cheap car, that is for fun, not a high dollar protouring deal. So low cost is essential.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The challenge for a wagon is the rear springs. Most lowering kits are targeted at the coupe market, and the wagon has the highest sprung weight, even more than an El Camino. I bought OPGI 3" lowering springs specifically for a wagon, and they were not cheap, even on Black Friday/Monday with free shipping. I have not yet installed them, and wonder if they will be TOO low. I might resell them if I'm riding the bumpstops.

This is what uncut Moog 5660s and Car-Go Coil 507s look like.

You might inquire with Eaton Detroit Spring if they have a spring already established for your target height.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    805.4 KB · Views: 316

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Good to know. Thats pretty tall. I suppose im not against cutting coils if thats what it takes. I cant imagine theres a cheaper option than Moog.

As for weight, i hear if you remove the plate in the back you can relieve quite a bit of weight. 40lbs? maybe

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Azeem,
I like the current stance of the car. You might have to cut the new springs to achieve that height again.
I wouldn't remove the cargo floor, despite the weight savings. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little weight in the rear.

Last edited:

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Sounds like cutting springs is in my future. Thats cool i guess.

Do you think that 5660's cut would be overkill? Like undriveable? The only comparison i have to stiff springs are summit lowering springs, and the Hotchkis TVS springs, with the Hotchkis being the stiffer ones. Id be interested in going with similar rate to the hotckis.

Oh and also the F-bdoy Iroc-Z springs.... Now those are stiff buggers.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Just checked and found the following spring rates from the respective seller websites'
1) Hotchkis for G-Body => 600 lb/in
2) Moog for Iroc-Z and Convertible => 748 lb/in

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the 5660 in my GP cut 2/3 of a coil. Every 1/4 coil cut drops the car 1". For the rear I use the F body isolater that has a channel to accommodate an open end spring so you can cut a spring. I have 83 Phoenix springs in the rear

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks GP, i was wondering how to cut the rears. Thats exactly the info im after. Looks like I know what i'll be ordering.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My concern with the rear springs would be being able to use a good heavy duty spring without the use of airbags. I have been using cargo coils, and would like to lower the car at least 2".
The wagon naturally has more weight in the rear than a coupe or sedan, so they would have to support the extra weight while providing a nice stance.

Steve, that's good information on using the Phoenix springs in the rear along with F-body isolators. My front springs are F41 springs. They are still good, so I'm thinking of possibly cutting them down...or should I just go for a set of 5660's and cut a half coil out of them?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the part number for the isolator is 10290379 and the moog spring for the Phoenix is 5661

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor