Which steering box do I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You don't want to get a quicker ratio than what you get in an SS. I have driven one that was custom made and you can't relax at all on the highway, just a little twitch will put you in the next lane. 2 3/4 to 3 L2L is nice for these cars. I have the 2 1/2 but with the stops it travels less so it's the same as a 2 3/4 to 3 L2L . You won't find a G body steering box with a 2 1/2 L2L

somethin_random

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 8, 2012
my car has 3 1/8 turns L2L already and I figured that was the stock ratio, is that considered a fast ratio? I don't want to buy a new one if I might end up with one that only removes that 1/8 of a steering wheel turn. On a curving (a little wider) right turn I made, I payed attention to spin and the steering wheel almost made a full rotation so I figured on a 90 degree right turn, it would be a little or more over a full steering wheel rotation. It seemed like a little too much but I may be giving it more thought than needed. I like your point about being on the highway, that's honestly one of the reasons why I thought I should buy a quicker ratio box but logically it would be the opposite as you mentioned. It just feels like I could lose control too easily as I don't really feel the car hugging the road, that is why I was interested in the 2.25 L2L box as you and others have mentioned. I figured you had that box after you said that... I'll probably just hold off on the steering box and work on the suspension and wheels\tires first. Thanks for your help

somethin_random

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 8, 2012
Thanks for the bump. I just re read the thread and realized I overlooked all pontiacgp's posts where he points out that the XH, HX, Z boxes have the same ratio as a stock SS box, :oops: I apologize.. I was fixed that the Z box had 2.25 L2L as I had read it somewhere else.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that's it, just different stops. Where I am the police can yank the plates off the car if the front tires rub the sway bar or fender so with the Z box it doesn't rub the 36 mm sway bar.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I personally rode in a SS Monte with this steering box and it handled like it was on rails!!
http://scandc.com/new/node/246
But it also had the SPC control arms with ZQ8 spindles and Hotchkis coils all around.... That SS Monte didn't even have hp tires and wheels....

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
The 78 to 80 Grand Ams supposedly have the same steering box as the Monte SS. I personally have never compared the 2.
I did pull a steering box from a GTA today. It appears to me that it turns 2 full rotations L2L compared to the Grand Am box which turns 3 full rotations L2L. Found that it has 12.7:1 ratio
I'll look for any significant identification if anyone is intrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor