who has successfully used DEX VI in their old 200 4r?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
mine is 1986 factory built with 72k miles and filter changed once or twice since bought 20 yrs ago. never had any issues and shifts fine. i'm getting mixed messages using this in my trans. autozone stated GM updated its recommendation for dex 6 in my specific car and word on the street is all over the map so i ask in this manner.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
mine is 1986 factory built with 72k miles and filter changed once or twice since bought 20 yrs ago. never had any issues and shifts fine. i'm getting mixed messages using this in my trans. autozone stated GM updated its recommendation for dex 6 in my specific car and word on the street is all over the map so i ask in this manner.
Not sure about the fluid but I wouldn't ask auto zone for advice on anything

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Acccording to GM, Dex 6 is backwards compatible with previous versions of Dexron. However, that's for AUTO TRANSMISSION USE ONLY. Any other uses, and they want you to verify whether it will work, because sometimes it won't.

There are times where say, manual transmissions call for Dex III, for instance, and Dex 6 MAY NOT BE compatible with the use in the manual transmission. In those cases, use GM's manual transmission fluid.

Also, DO NOT USE DEX VI as a power steering fluid. It's not designed for that.

1681502272055.png

Reactions: 3 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Acccording to GM, Dex 6 is backwards compatible with previous versions of Dexron. However, that's for AUTO TRANSMISSION USE ONLY. Any other uses, and they want you to verify whether it will work, because sometimes it won't.

There are times where say, manual transmissions call for Dex III, for instance, and Dex 6 MAY NOT BE compatible with the use in the manual transmission. In those cases, use GM's manual transmission fluid.

Also, DO NOT USE DEX VI as a power steering fluid. It's not designed for that.

View attachment 219175
yeah that's what i mean and that's what the autozone computer said.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Delco and GM part numbers for Dex VI. Quarts are still same part number, but others may have been superseded since November 2020. Essentially, Dexron VI is Dexron VI, regardless of part number.

attachment.php

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I saved this from a GM bulletin archive...which no longer exists. But some of the info still does.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.
Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).
If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.
DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I saved this from a GM bulletin archive...which no longer exists. But some of the info still does.
thanx whatever input i can get is appreciated, i'm not getting this done for a few weeks yet and i'm sure not many 86' built 200 4rs are still running the roads but what you're posting gives the all clear.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
can't say 100% for sure but I seem to recall that's what I used in Betty when I changed the filter, 4th gear switch and tc solenoid. Went all the way to OH from OK and back a few(!) years ago so it must be OK (or its a ticking time bomb). wasn't a complete change but...

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it feels like the atf these days are getting less specific these days seeing they become reverse compatible for anything 20 years or older.there's people running straight hydraulic fluid in these transmissions.ive been running type f for years without issue.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor