who has successfully used DEX VI in their old 200 4r?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
can't say 100% for sure but I seem to recall that's what I used in Betty when I changed the filter, 4th gear switch and tc solenoid. Went all the way to OH from OK and back a few(!) years ago so it must be OK (or its a ticking time bomb). wasn't a complete change but...
so far that's the best closest answer to the headline question i've gotten, thanx

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In my experience, Type F doesn't tend to last as long, so for daily driver, probably wouldn't use it. If you do a street/strip and tear into it every off-season, then yeah, Type F is very do-able. You do you.

When I changed the wife's old 2002 Camaro Z28 transmission fluid, I put Dex VI in it at 31,000 miles. Had zero issues with it. Shifted fine and 20K miles later when we sold it, it was still shifting like it should.

There's anecdotal reports from many that the thinner Dex VI allows for tighter clearances, cooler temps, and longer service time with less wear. One guy said his built up 200-4R started missing 1-2 shift and glazed his plates when he went to Dex VI

, but I'm thinking his clearances were sloppy. Just speculating. The stuff is runny, almost watery. For Dex III required applications (like my ZL1's Tremec TR6060), I've had good success using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Note- it says to not use it for applications requiring GM Dexron VI. Dexron II/III are not FORWARD compatible. The Tremec 6060 is notorious for resistive, clunky shifts when cold, but with the Mobil 1 ATF, I've had absolutely no issues in that department. Like butter.

1681518316119.png

Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
it feels like the atf these days are getting less specific these days seeing they become reverse compatible for anything 20 years or older.there's people running straight hydraulic fluid in these transmissions.ive been running type f for years without issue.
well its not just ATF its zinc in oil as well. this has been the biggest sh*t storm of all i had done to my car since the 305 kicked. i bought this for 2900.00 in early 21' that last i looked can't get for less than 4k now, from pace performance SHIPPED.. the long block is incredible. https://paceperformance.com/i-23924...mc-full-size-trucks-g-van-up-to-7200-gvw.html

its the same debate as ATF add zinc (especially if flat tappet cam)/ don't need it.... asked my mechanic other day should i get zinc additive to go along with mobile 1 full synth as my 2nd oil change with 2k miles on it and its not just that. its also should i use full synth @ 2k miles. this has me runnin mad. lol

good thing i have a spare high performance 200 4r in the shed sittin 20 yrs waiting to be used just in case... i'm feeling like a crash test dummy when it comes to this post topic. lol

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I used Dexron 6, it worked fine in my 2004R.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My takeaway is it sounds like if I buy the 'manual transmission fluid' labeled product I'm getting dexron III. So maybe just buy that and not worry.

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe that one was factory.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My takeaway is it sounds like if I buy the 'manual transmission fluid' labeled product I'm getting dexron III. So maybe just buy that and not worry.
Exactly. They've defuncted the Dex III brand (as to not add more BS to the confusion I guess) and simply relabeled the Dex III to MTF. Like THAT isn't confusing in itself.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

I do the same for the auto fluid. I know 6 is a service replacement for 3, but I'm being paranoid here. Good to hear these 200-4Rs aren't dying from it, maybe I can cave some day and switch over to 6.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Dexron 6 was recommended by David Husik when he built one of my 2004R. Never had any issues and still shifts hard.
Using Dexron 6 on a non rebuilt 2004R with mileage on it , that's a question I would ask David Husik or some one that builds 2004R for a living.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor