Who Supplied Tires to GM For Our Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Are they original tires? Hard to believe if they have 22K on them and still have appreciable tread left on them. Those original GT's were soft as heck and rubbed off faster than a pencil eraser. Not saying that the tread is not good, but I pushed mine on the 85 to 24K and I was almost on the bars. I got 20K on the original GTs for the 87 442. I'll have to check they're tread to see how much is left.
I will send a pic. The tread looks great. Probably another 10 to 15 thousand left on them. I was just worried about the rubber itself being 33 years old.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I will send a pic. The tread looks great. Probably another 10 to 15 thousand left on them. I was just worried about the rubber itself being 33 years old.
Good news for you. The tread being 33 years old is the only thing that's a bit worrisome. The tread should be rather soft, and may harden up to brick-like status over the years, and cracks start to form, most notably between the treads. Search for evidence of cracking anywhere on the tire, though. Thinking back to the 85, I was doing a larger share of burnouts with the car back then. And yes, contrary to popular belief, you could roll smoke out the back of a G-body 442 with a stock 307. AND get a second gear chirp.

While I wouldn't have a problem gently rolling to a local car event on OG tires, I wouldn't drive it out of town, especially at highway speeds. It's a dangerous risk.

Reactions: 1 user

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
For sure. I never would have driven it out of town. There are no cracks of anykind or sidewall marks either. The car was garaged its whole life before i bought it. So no sun damage.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
For sure. I never would have driven it out of town. There are no cracks of anykind or sidewall marks either. The car was garaged its whole life before i bought it. So no sun damage.
U can see maybe in my profile pic the originals were still on it then. Thats been a year ago. I have some coopers on her now

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 129

JayInLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2015
My OG donut was a firestone, has firestone paper work. :D
Can you post a picture of the Firestone donut. My local junkyard has none left, and I need to replace my donut with the steel wheel and I need tire size etc to buy one new

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Can you post a picture of the Firestone donut. My local junkyard has none left, and I need to replace my donut with the steel wheel and I need tire size etc to buy one new
Any 80s gm with a space saver spare will work. I assume fwd is different from rwd applications. Use whatever tire size gets you closest to the tire sizes you're running on your car now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor