Who Supplied Tires to GM For Our Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC in mid or late 87’ the Monte SS changed to Eagle GT+4’s.
Your recollection is well-founded, Sir. I found evidence (from Goodyear, ironically) that the 1988 Monte Carlo SS came from the factory with GT+4s ROWL. I simply didn't recall that. An ad they had said that the GT+4 was exclusive tire for the 1988 Monte SS. I saw an 87 Monte SS Aero advertisement and it showed regular GT.

Also found out up through 1987, Fiero GT used Eagle GT, then in 1988 they went to blackwall GT+4 as well. Same for the 88 Camaro Z28 (non-iroc).

So now we know. :)

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Your recollection is well-founded, Sir. I found evidence (from Goodyear, ironically) that the 1988 Monte Carlo SS came from the factory with GT+4s ROWL. I simply didn't recall that. An ad they had said that the GT+4 was exclusive tire for the 1988 Monte SS. I saw an 87 Monte SS Aero advertisement and it showed regular GT.

Also found out up through 1987, Fiero GT used Eagle GT, then in 1988 they went to blackwall GT+4 as well. Same for the 88 Camaro Z28 (non-iroc).

So now we know. :)

I don't know everything, still learn a thing here and there, but know way more than I need to about the 4th gen Monte SS's :D.

I recall hearing a few times they started in the later 87' model year, but maybe an original owner from that time can chime in.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
My brothers 85 Monte Carlo SS came with the Eagle GT's, My 88 Monte Carlo SS came with the Eagle GT+4's. Build date on my SS was 08/87

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
My Eagle GTS are the raised outline white letter. Tread still looks great. Just worried that being 33 years old i could possibly have a blowout and ruin 1 or more of my pristine factory wheels. They only have 22 thousand miles on them.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
As a nearly lifelong Buick, Pontiac, GMC sales manager, I will tell you that your tire warranty didn't necessarily indicate what brands came mounted on road wheels. The compact or inflatable spare was often another brand, so two tire warranty pamphlets were found in the glovebox.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My Eagle GTS are the raised outline white letter. Tread still looks great. Just worried that being 33 years old i could possibly have a blowout and ruin 1 or more of my pristine factory wheels. They only have 22 thousand miles on them.
Are they original tires? Hard to believe if they have 22K on them and still have appreciable tread left on them. Those original GT's were soft as heck and rubbed off faster than a pencil eraser. Not saying that the tread is not good, but I pushed mine on the 85 to 24K and I was almost on the bars. I got 20K on the original GTs for the 87 442. I'll have to check they're tread to see how much is left.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Are they original tires? Hard to believe if they have 22K on them and still have appreciable tread left on them. Those original GT's were soft as heck and rubbed off faster than a pencil eraser. Not saying that the tread is not good, but I pushed mine on the 85 to 24K and I was almost on the bars. I got 20K on the original GTs for the 87 442. I'll have to check they're tread to see how much is left.

Part of it depends on how you drive, but also what the roads are like - older rough pavement will wear that soft rubber down quicker.

I've still got the factory p zero neros on my s197 mustang. By all accounts they should've worn down and out a while ago, but still over 80% tread. I attribute part of that to driving it almost exclusively through roads with good, smooth, not very aged pavement so there's little scrubbing action (and keeping my foot out of it mostly)

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As a nearly lifelong Buick, Pontiac, GMC sales manager, I will tell you that your tire warranty didn't necessarily indicate what brands came mounted on road wheels. The compact or inflatable spare was often another brand, so two tire warranty pamphlets were found in the glovebox.

Bill
My OG donut was a firestone, has firestone paper work. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor