Who Tows with their G, and What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
This pretains more to wagons, coupes and sedans. Normally I use my jeep as my hauler, it usually does ok, over the weekend however I had a hell of a load on it (roughly 4000lbs+) and man did it have its tongue out. The little I6 just doesn't have the grunt to do it reliably (the transmission was rather pissed too). Hauling a car with the jeep would likely be out of the question for any more than local quickies. So my thinking here, what if I switch my malibu up from its current state, over to a tow rig. After a transmission swap (current one is way too violent), suspension upgrade (including a leveling system for the rear), possible brake upgrade, radiator swap, and add the hitch it should be good to go. My other thought was my 4dr amc eagle, but that would need much more work, :rofl: . Thoughts? Or have I lost me mind, lol.

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
006-2.jpg

I towed my 84 Omega home with my 80 Cutlass cruiser.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:D That's what I'm talking bout, lol. Handle fairly decent?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I tow an 18' aluminum skiff, around 1000 lbs. High Jacker rear springs and coil-over shocks make it easy. Plus my Saginaw 4 speed has a 3:50 first gear so no problem taking off, but at a boat ramp I wish it was an automatic. The wagons are great tow vehicles and even the braking is adequate.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Had the owners manual for my '78 Grand Am (and for the Leman & Grand Lemans also), so I looked up trailer towing.
If your car is stock (no trailering equipment), They don't recommend towing a trailer over 1000 pounds gross trailer weight.
Trailer brakes of adequate size are required on trailers over 1000 pounds loaded weight. Blah, blah, blah.
Properly installed frame mounted hitch/proper capacity sway control for trailers over 2000 pounds loaded weight.
If you have Superlifts, keep a minimum pressure of 10-15 psi.
Trailer tongue load be kept at 10% of the loaded trailer weight for dead weight hitches, and 12% for weight distributing hitches.
Do not use axle mounted hitches. Use only hitches that permit normal operation of the energy absorbing bumper system.
Do not attempt to tow a trailer over 4000 pounds gross trailer weight no matter what trailer towing equipment is installed!

I'm not trying to make a statement one way or another, just thought you might enjoy what the General had to say!
If you find someone who makes a class III hitch, let us know please!

Doug

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Bonne, good to know, I was thinking on doing a manual swap, the chryco A833OD, that way I'd have a nice take off 1st, and nice crusing OD. I was think more along the lines of a bag assisted leveling system, that way when it's not in use my car can go right back into comfy cruiser mode, lol.

tinsmith, thanks for the precautions, if I do go through with this (still on the fence), the frame will get much needed attention as well (I noticed I forgot to mention that in my first post, lol). As far a class III hitch, I'm pretty sure I'll be making my own :mrgreen: , or modifying a truck one to fit the car. This won't be an overnight project, likely an over the winter type deal so I can do it right and make it safe, now that I'll have a garage, I can work on the car in the off season :banana: .

crazy'boutOlds, I hate using a dolly, went from mass to central new york with one, that was with a 1/2 ton truck, was a shitty ride compared to having a trailer. So a brake upgrade is most definitely needed for heavy loads.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Even though I really try to avoid it. I aint scared to tow a car with my monte. I have pulled a couple of cars across town. At night though when there isnt much traffic.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not to be a killjoy, but the legal ramifications of towing a load greater than permitted by the vehicle manufacturer are great, and if you get in that jackpot, don't expect your insurance carrier to carry the burden. Once it is established that you exceeded the limits, you will be on your own.

Not worth it, IMO, unless it's a very small trailer.

Once you've towed any distance with a 1 ton or larger truck, you'll never want to look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor