Why animosity towards imports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
oldiejams said:
I haven't see it a lot, but I have seen it here.
i don't get why people are always talking down on imports like hondas, nissans, toy etc. They aren't my favorite vehicles i don't have any, but i can still appreciate them.

Pearl Harbor.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
rlsllc said:
oldiejams said:
I haven't see it a lot, but I have seen it here.
i don't get why people are always talking down on imports like hondas, nissans, toy etc. They aren't my favorite vehicles i don't have any, but i can still appreciate them.

Pearl Harbor.

:doh: wow. just wow.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
79malibu350 said:
Because too many of them are kids who think they can buy a $30 exhaust tip from autozone, make their civic sound like a pissed off bumblebee, and WHAM!!!!!

Straight out da fast and furious.

Those movies killed it for the true builders, however, it did open up the aftermarket a lot more.

I like imports, euro imports or VIP's as they're calling them now, lowriders, hot rods, etc. My feeling on someone else putting down anothers ride whether they built it, bought it built, or had paid to have it built is that in some way it makes them feel better about themself a person/car builder/whatever by downing on the next man's ride.

The import "ricer" add on's as already mentioned are pretty much the same for the hot rod builders that came before them. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, no? :wink:

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
cashmoneyspeed said:
79malibu350 said:
Because too many of them are kids who think they can buy a $30 exhaust tip from autozone, make their civic sound like a pissed off bumblebee, and WHAM!!!!!

The import "ricer" add on's as already mentioned are pretty much the same for the hot rod builders that came before them. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, no? :wink:

My sediments exactly.

I can remember very well, loud exhaust, air shocks to clear to wide a tire etc on many American built cars.
I call it wannabeism and its still alive today and not just with the import crowd.
I see wannabe G bodies, Camaro's, Mustangs, hell you got wannabe bikers on Harleys that deck themselves out in full leather, tattooed etc etc etc that come out on weekends after wearing there suit all week pretending to be bad *ss bikers.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
Sediments? :mrgreen:
Anyway, I don't put down the hot rod urge the kids have working on their imports, as mentioned, we did stupid stuff like drilling holes in mufflers to make them louder, building cheap shackles to jack up the rear, all that stuff. The problem I have is endemic to the situation of how imports especially Asian imports were allowed to skirt the higher tariffs that their countries charged us to export products to them, how they were allowed to dump steel and cars as well as appliances on our market, at a loss, with backing from their governments in order to build market share, all of which were illegal but ignored by our government for years. Those are the things I see as wrong. the kids are just working on what they have, same as we did. :wink:

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
cashmoneyspeed said:
79malibu350 said:

Those movies killed it for the true builders, however, it did open up the aftermarket a lot more.

I like imports, euro imports or VIP's as they're calling them now, lowriders, hot rods, etc. My feeling on someone else putting down anothers ride whether they built it, bought it built, or had paid to have it built is that in some way it makes them feel better about themself a person/car builder/whatever by downing on the next man's ride.

I can agree with that, but im telling you, every time im just cruising in the malibu and some kid in a stock 97 accord with a fart can tries to race me just cuz im there and im loud, i wanna vomit. :puke:

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
Also, its my not just the posers with their mommys hand-me-down civic that have earned my ire. I live in hicktown, pretty big redneck myself. But alot of the guys my age have decided that the newest cool thing to try and race everywhere are diesel trucks..... :wtf:

excuse me good sir, but do you realize your truck's intended purpose is to haul heavy loads, not race anything with a motor from stoplight to stoplight and cover it in black smoke. Perhaps this is why your spending a $1000 a month to fix the stuff that keeps breaking, hmmm?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
It's one of those things that's widespread, we get the types in the offroad world too. Some rigs look like a rolling JC whitney catalog, some schmuck will plaster a jeep with every stick-on, bolt-on, clamp-on gadget they can find, have an 8 inch lift installed, run 38 inch tires with beadlocks, and never leave the pavement :rofl: . The one time they choose to, their rig self destructs due to still having stock axles (think of it as dumb as putting a 540 Merlin against a 200 metric transmission :lol: ). Then you get the woodchucks that will install a 3-5 inch body lift, and run 3-4 inch blocks on both front and rear axles slap 36" ground hawgs on and obliderate driveshafts in the mud due to severe axle wrap caused by their huge blocks. The rest of us really get a kick out of these types, seems they always think their truck is the most badass thing at the event, then when they blow the stuff apart first time down the trail, they look to a little conservativly built jeep for a tow, lol. Of course we help them out, but then we have to rub it in a bit by effortlessly going through, or over the obstacle that they broke on, haha, those of us who can wheel or rigs for years with no catastrophic problems, just sit back and laugh. Ricers are everywhere, :lol: .

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Ugghh... Whenever I see lift blocks or body lifts being the main method of lifting a vehicle my first thought is "poser". :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor