Why everyone is putting Chevy's in the off brands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"chevy motors are just better. " Wrong, better for what?

I just love stupid blanket statements. :roll:

They are cheaper and have been done to death.

Plenty of Chevies have seen the tailights of my Pontiac powered Olds!

I shift @ 7200 rpm :shock:

I am building up my Olds because I WANT TO and not to be different. If everyone decides to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge I won't lol! Nope I don't run with Fords or Imports either. Not my taste just the general's finest please lol! Like someone posted earlier, the cars that isn't chevy that receive a chevy engine most definitely lose its identity. I don't know I guess I am too stuck on brand loyalty but I wonder how people feel if I had an ultra clean 83 Monte SS with t-tops and I drop a turbocharged Buick V6 with all the bells & whistles in it? Chances are I will get a hella more hate than love because why? It's not a "mainstream" swap. Plus, people are so suck into the more horsepower mentality like torque isn't key! Torque moves the car from a standstill. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't torque rule the streets too? Olds & Caddys were the first engines to use when drag racing begun in emtpy airplane runways in Cali. Heck, Olds & Caddys were the first cam-in-block V8's six years before Chevy came out with the 265 V8! If you remedy the oiling system on a BOP you will be very hard to beat! If you want proof look up this mid-80s racer named Buddy Ingersoll.

I think it might have something to do with GM themselves. I have an 87 GP built in Canada sold in the US that came with a 305 chevy. So an easy upgrade for me would be 350 chevy. But yeah a 455 pontiac would be nice!

shotgun said:
"chevy motors are just better. " Wrong, better for what?

I just love stupid blanket statements. :roll:

They are cheaper and have been done to death.

Plenty of Chevies have seen the tailights of my Pontiac powered Olds!

I shift @ 7200 rpm :shock:

I was shifting a 305 with a stock bottom end at 7200rpm without issue.

chevys are cheaper, easier to come by, easier to find transmissions for, weigh less

need i go on ?

I wouldnt say chevy's weigh less the 454 weighs more than the Olds & Buick's 455 believe it or not Ripley lol.

Well the 'typical' cheaper response is a pretty good one. And now that the economy is crap, probably even more sbc getting used. Just price out things like water pumps, heads,, intakes, and cams. Not to mention the is a WAY BIGGER selection for sbc. And then there's the big one for me, the weight. Aren't all racers trying to shave weight off the front of their car? And I'm pretty sue sbc's are lighter than the Old/Pontiac/Buick small blocks. And yeah I know, a turbo Buick V6 probably weighs less. But then we're back into the whole cost thing again. Oh, and let's not forget headers. How much you non-sbc guys pay for your g-body headers?

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's as cool as hell to see an Old 350 in a g-body cutlass. In fact, I plan to build our 5 year old a cutlass with an 'Olds Rocket' in it when he gets old enough.

And, I'm an old school guy. I like old rat rods and stuff like that. And if there's one place I hate seeing sbc is on cars that were never availible with them in the first place. But at least our g-bodies came with them. So that is justification enough for me to put a sbc in any g-body.

But really, who cares. As long I can go cruising in my car, I'm happy lol.

Even GM thought it better to put a Chevy in an Oldsmobile and Pontiac look at those Canadian built Cutlasses and GP's....hahaha....all kidding aside I love Oldsmobile motors have a 68 Cutlass with a 350 rocket, the thing flies! As far as a Gbody goes I build with what I have laying around. I guess you could say money but mostly availability of a good block and no reliable machine shops around to do the work for me.

I can understand the point of keeping the right engine in the right car, but at the same time it's not like our g bodies are pulling major bucks like the GTO judges or mopars. Yes, chevy motors are a dime a dozen and you can do just about anything to them and it has been proven to work. Also, those chevy motors are practically indestructable. I've beaten the livin hell out of 'em and they keep going. As far as pontiac or olds I'm not so sure. They're not that common and are hard to find parts for.

Who cares anyway since Pontiac and Buick are just different brands of GM. They're all the same thing between Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, etc. Now I can understand if some people are a little tift since Chevy chopped Pontiac off the tree.

If you wanna do something crazy as well, put a really off brand in another brand car. I was thinking about putting a big block mopar in my 80' malibu. I've seen other guys put ford big blocks in chevys and sbc in fords.

teambop said:
\Like someone posted earlier, the cars that isn't chevy that receive a chevy engine most definitely lose its identity. I don't know I guess I am too stuck on brand loyalty but I wonder how people feel if I had an ultra clean 83 Monte SS with t-tops and I drop a turbocharged Buick V6 with all the bells & whistles in it? .

Can't really say they loose there identity when they came that way from the factory. I have nothing against any of the bopc motors, I just like my chevys. I would and have put chevys in olds before. But I also don't mind if someone does the opposite.
All these motors can be built to have a lot of fun. I'm not even gonna argue which one is better cause that will go nowhere.
I will say i get tired of people preaching the superiority of the bop motors.
If they were perfect why aren't they being made anymore? Now, i'm not saying that chevs are still around because they were superior. But the fact hat GM decided to keep them around for some reason.
The last thing that bugs me, is that I view All the GM brands to be a family. Why are we arguing? WE should be together working to stomp the Fords and Dodges! :lol:

G-bodys don't pull in alot of money like the older muscle cars?! You can't find a 1987 GNX for under 60 g's lol! Unless its been modded & all that. An 84-87 H/O & 442's is starting to go up as well. Alot of people care, its just that they don't want to voice their disagreement then be dubbed a "hater" because its not the in thing to do! Body wise, I agree Chevy's are lighter but it goes back to the follower routine cause its been done over & over & over its like watching the same movie constantly. Eventually, you're going to get tired of looking at the same dialogue lol! True enough, build your car like you want to, but, I just get sick & tired of the same cheap chevy swaps. Its like no one is TRYING to be original, just copy & paste like the next man. I am glad I can discuss this without people getting too emotional lmao!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor