why move the battery to other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
when you swap out an olds engine for a chevy in a cutlass why do you have to move the battery to the passenger side? is it to shorten the starter wire? would it hurt to leave the battery on the drivers side and use longer starter wire? thanks as i was just curious.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
absolutely nothing wrong with that. i have a sbc in my 78 malibu and i put the battery on the drivers side.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
It is better to have the shortest wire possible. The longer you go, the more resistance there will be. To compensate for the resistance, you will need thicker wire.

Why not just get the parts from a Chevy powered g body and do it right?

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
I have a cutlass with the stock 3.8 and the battery is on the passenger side.Was there battery locations on either side? I quess someone could easily do a dual battery setup then if they wanted.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
username said:
I have a cutlass with the stock 3.8 and the battery is on the passenger side.Was there battery locations on either side? I quess someone could easily do a dual battery setup then if they wanted.

As noted, the battery was located on the same side as the starter to minimize the length of the battery cable and thus the voltage drop. Yes, you can simply run a longer cable, but you need to use a larger gauge wire. The factory wanted to minimize cost and thus use the smallest wire possible.

The diesel cars used dual batteries. Why you'd want to put all that extra weight way forward of the front wheels if you didn't need it is a mystery to me, however.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
joe_padavano said:
Why you'd want to put all that extra weight way forward of the front wheels if you didn't need it is a mystery to me, however.

Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor