HELP Installing Rear LCA - axle moved?

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Hey Guys, I am working on installing UMI rear LCAs (https://www.umiperformance.com/home...dy-tubular-non-adjustable-lower-control-arms/)
Install instructions say to replace them one at a time. So I removed the first one and noticed the axle kind of shifted when I got the bolts out.

So I'm installing the new one and got one end in with a bolt, but now the other end doesn't align with a hole. Pushing on the rear wheels forward or backward doesn't seem to move it much if at all.

What is the best way to get this lined back up?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
A ratchet strap can be very helpful for this job.

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Hey Guys, I am working on installing UMI rear LCAs (https://www.umiperformance.com/home...dy-tubular-non-adjustable-lower-control-arms/)
Install instructions say to replace them one at a time. So I removed the first one and noticed the axle kind of shifted when I got the bolts out.

So I'm installing the new one and got one end in with a bolt, but now the other end doesn't align with a hole. Pushing on the rear wheels forward or backward doesn't seem to move it much if at all.

What is the best way to get this lined back up?
did it shift left/right or front/back?

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Pretty sure it just shifted back. The control arm seems to be inline with the mounting point, but just doesn't have enough length.

Going to pick up a Ratchet strap and try that.

Will post back on how it goes.

Thanks guys

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Is the driveshaft still attached? It too could be part of the headache. When I did mine I left it in place & it helped with the work against me.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If all the bars are equal length meaning both uppers are the same and both lowers match then it’s just a matter of forcing it to line up. Like was said it’s a little rougher than simple in and out for lining up the holes.

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Ratchet straps worked. Used 2 and it was still tough but got them lined up.
I had left the driveshaft in place as well.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor