WILL A 1967 ELCAMINO REAR END FIT IN MY 1984 ELCO NEED ANSWERS QUICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Very basic swap. Parts will ship same day!

https://southsidemachineperformance...olt-swap-double-adjustable-upper-control-arms

These control arms from SSM Performance are designed to bolt a 1964-1972 GM A-Body 10-Bolt or 12-Bolt rear end into a 1978-1988 GM G-Body; this includes Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino, Regal, Grand National, Grand Prix and Cutlass. These upper control arms are built at the correct angle to attach to the G-Body chassis as well as the A-Body rear end "ears". These control arms are a must any time this swap is being completed. Using factory control arms will cause drastic rear end bind and incorrect driveline angle, this leads to traction lose, vibrations and unsafe handling.
These control arms are supplied adjustable for easy on-car adjustability to set correct pinion angle and allow adjustment for installation if needed. Adjustments are made using an aircraft quality 4140 Chrome Moly adjuster with included Poly Bushings.
Southside Machine Sport Suspension kit includes a set of Poly tubular rear lower control arms and a set of adjustable rear upper control arms. This control arm kit is a direct bolt-on replacement designed to minimize wheel hop, improve corning and help track consistency on your GM “G” Body vehicle. Stock control arms are on the borderline of junk, bushing deflection and rusting weak stamped material add for traction loss and poor handling ability. Whether your car is a weekend cruiser or weekend track addict this kit works on all applications. Lower control arms feature poly bushings, fully boxed and welded construction for the most in strength and correct provisions for adding a stock or aftermarket sway bar. The included double adjustable upper control arms allow you to adjust your vehicles pinion angle and recenter the rearend for optimum performance, precise handling and improved traction. Adjustable upper control arms are constructed of CNC machined 0.250" steel mounting plates, heavy wall DOM tubing and heavy duty poly bushings to handle the most severe abuse you can throw at them.

These are truly overkill! All grade 8 hardware is included. Made in USA.​

78-88 Pontiac Grand Prix
78-87 Buick Regal
78-87 Chevrolet El Camino
78-83 Chevrolet Malibu
78-88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
78-87 GMC Caballero
79-81 Oldsmobile Cutlass
78-81 Pontiac Lemans
78-87 Buick Grand National

the lowers in your package will not fit the 64 to 67 A body rear

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This a kit and all parts included are designed for the swap, Including the lowers. All info is on the webpage.

I have the 64 to 67 rear end which is 2.5" wider but the pick up point for the lowers is closer to the center of the rear end compared to a G body. The 68 to 72 rear is 4.5" wider and as far as I know the stock style lowers fit that rear end. The lowers in the 64 to 67 rear need a joint on the axle side to pick up the angle discrepancy. Here is a picture of the 1967 8.2" rear end in my GP with the UMI lower with the Roto joint that they added for my application.

Lower axle1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I agree 100%. Lets not add to the internet confusion. Our kit deals with the 7 degree angle change on the lower bracket and goes a step beyond with dealing with the instant center changes needed as well. Much respect to you Mr. GP and not a debate here. Have a great day sir. The link provides all info that is needed.

https://southsidemachineperformance.com/t/gm-g-body-1978-1988

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In your ad your lowers come with poly bushing so it is impossible for those lowers to work on the 64 to 67 A body rear. When I was installing the rear I was in contact with another member here who had the 68 to 72, he had no issue with using the stock lowers. When I saw the issue with the stock lowers I contacted UMI who agreed to use tubular lowers and modified one end to fit a Roto joint. I noticed your ad doesn't include the 10 bolt of those years but the 10 bolt 8.2" rear end has the same width as the 12 bolt. I am speaking of personal experience but if you want to dismiss that as an effort to debate you or to cause internet confusion you are mistaken. I was trying to help you out but it appears you missed but I hope this helps others who are installing the 64 to 67, 12 or 10 bolt rear end. I'm curious however if you have personally tested those lowers to fit on the 64 to 67 rear end.

Last edited:

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
In your ad your lowers come with poly bushing so it is impossible for those lowers to work on the 64 to 67 A body rear. When I was installing the rear I was in contact with another member here who had the 68 to 72, he had no issue with using the stock lowers. When I saw the issue with the stock lowers I contacted UMI who agreed to use tubular lowers and modified one end to fit a Roto joint. I noticed your ad doesn't include the 10 bolt of those years but the 10 bolt 8.2" rear end has the same width as the 12 bolt. I am speaking of personal experience but if you want to dismiss that as an effort to debate you or to cause internet confusion you are mistaken. I was trying to help you out but it appears you missed but I hope this helps others who are installing the 64 to 67, 12 or 10 bolt rear end. I'm curious however if you have personally tested those lowers to fit on the 64 to 67 rear end.

Our kit will fit all the A Body rears regardless of what the carrier size or number of bolts used (8.2", 8.5" 8.875"). We have built thousands of these kits over the years. The lower control arm mount angle on all these model rears are off by 7 degrees or so, even the 68-72. We deal with this issue by removing the factory lower brackets and provide a multi-hole version for adjustable and proper instant angle changes. So yes, our arms do fit this application. We will do a thorough write-up on this swap.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/g-body-gm-10-12-bolt-swaps-by-southside-machine-performance.70779/

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I have the 64 to 67 rear end which is 2.5" wider but the pick up point for the lowers is closer to the center of the rear end compared to a G body. The 68 to 72 rear is 4.5" wider and as far as I know the stock style lowers fit that rear end. The lowers in the 64 to 67 rear need a joint on the axle side to pick up the angle discrepancy. Here is a picture of the 1967 8.2" rear end in my GP with the UMI lower with the Roto joint that they added for my application.

View attachment 98224
I believe that you might have missed the part that we do not use the factory lower control arm mounts. That might have been miscommunication on my end. We replace them with the proper angle for the G-Body .
180401_032416_87.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you should fix your ad cause there is no mention of the bracket, it is an option to add to the kit with no explanation that I found...don't get me wrong, I like to see the products out there that help us and those brackets are a nice idea. Do you have any instructions on how to line the brackets up on the axle?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just my opinion, but if you have to weld brackets to an already incorrect-width rear, kinda defeats the whole purpose of the "easy swap" people look for with the early rears.

Might as well buy a 9 inch housing/axle package, with much better parts availability, and easier gear changes, or spend for the unicorn 8.5 rear.

Part I'd most like to see repro'd? G body 8.5 rear housings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor