wind noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladodger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
Does anyone know how to eliminate the wind noise on an 86 El Camino? I've already replaced the rubber above the door and I replaced the window felts. Any information will be helpful.
Thanks

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I don't think you can, My 78 sounds like the door is open at 70 MPH.
I replaced all the rubber also and have the windows adjusted so tight that the doors are hard to close.
I think it's shape of the car itself that causes most of the wind noise.
I don't have any water leaks so I just gave up worring about it.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
The only way I was able to quit the noise down was to adjust the window regulator in the door. I was able to make the window press into the new rubber and help to quit down on the noise. When you do adjust just be sure that the window is not up to far as to hit the "ear" that keeps the window pressed up into the rubber.

ladodger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having, once I get up to about 60-70 mph the noise becomes a little irritating. Did adjusting your window eliminate the problem all-together?

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I really dont have this problem anymore. I dont drive my car in the winter and my windows are always open. When I did drive it all the time in high school I had the same problem and tried to fix it. But as what TC1959 mentioned, I stopped worrying about it. As long as it dont leak when it rains your good.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
how does your door close?Are your door hinge bushing,is your door striker adjusted properly? If thats good and your door closes tight ,check your seals again for rips or tears.Did you replace door seal or roofrail seal?

ladodger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
Yeah, I replaced both the door seals and the roof rail seals. This is a summer car as well, but I still would like to eliminate the noise.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
ladodger said:
Yeah, I replaced both the door seals and the roof rail seals. This is a summer car as well, but I still would like to eliminate the noise.
when you are driving if you pull in on the door does it go away?you could always go and have a friend spray it with a powerwasher while you sit inside and look for leaks.These little problems can sometimes be a big pain in the *ss.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Man, I thought it was just my car. It must be a G-body thing. So that's how they left the dealerships in the 80s? Customers must not have been that picky back then. :D

ladodger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2012
gwhiz said:
ladodger said:
when you are driving if you pull in on the door does it go away?you could always go and have a friend spray it with a powerwasher while you sit inside and look for leaks.These little problems can sometimes be a big pain in the *ss.

Yeah, the door is shut completely, I believe it's more in the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor