Window does not roll up properly when door closed after attempted break in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Someone attempted to break into my 87 Monte Carlo hard top on the passenger side a few weeks ago. I returned to my car to find the passenger window pulled out passed the little clip on the outside, grease along the top of the window, dots of grease on the interior etc. Worst part is I left the drivers door unlocked.

Now the manual window does not properly roll up when the door is closed. When the door is opened it rolls up but the rear portion of the window does not go up as fast as the front, i.e. the top of the window does not stay level. This only occurs after the glass is half way up. When the front of the window reaches the top then it only takes a little movement of the crank to get the rear up if the door is open. If the door is closed it start to catch on the weather stripping and jams. I have looked inside the door and there are no adjustments that seem to help with this. How do I fix this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you taken the door panel off to see what is broken or bent from the window being pulled out?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I took the door panel of both sides to compare them. They both look identical. I did not see anything missing or out of place. What I did find was that the rear most guide was pushed back / loose allowing the window to rattle. I corrected that and tightened it but it did not make a difference.

When you mention the 'regulator' what are you referring to? I thought the regulator was part of the motor / transmission system in power windows. I have manual with just a crank. I did notice that there is some movement in the scissor mechanism but that seems to match the amount on the driver's side. Should that piece have movement other that when the crank is applied? Could wear over the last 29 years account for the movement?

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
Check all the guild rails to make sure nothing is bent or missing anything. I had a similar problem and it turned out I was missing a roller off the scissor part of the regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor