Window question on vinyl top removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickLove

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2015
Gatlinburg TN
Can someone tell me before I yank these quarter windows out....I'm doing the vinyl top delete on 86 regal and I saw somewhere that I needed to get hard top windows to replace them, why is this?? WI'll the hard top windows go right in?? What if I use the old windows what's the difference? I wanted to avoid taking the windows out but the rust is behind one of the corners of the windows.... I know it sounds awful but we're patching the rust with fiberglass as we have no knowedge on how to weld. (We =my husband and i)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The only difference is the hard top windows have a rubber seal. It's the same window and metal trim and with the vinyl top the window uses the vinyl as the seal. Welding isn't really a hard skill to learn and it's a great skill to have. And while your learning to weld you will become an expert with the grinding disk...:mrgreen:

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Can someone tell me before I yank these quarter windows out....I'm doing the vinyl top delete on 86 regal and I saw somewhere that I needed to get hard top windows to replace them, why is this?? WI'll the hard top windows go right in?? What if I use the old windows what's the difference? I wanted to avoid taking the windows out but the rust is behind one of the corners of the windows.... I know it sounds awful but we're patching the rust with fiberglass as we have no knowedge on how to weld. (We =my husband and i)

Depending on how much you are patching and how visible it is, there is a product called por patch, by Por-15 that works at least better than a band aid....used some a few years ago, not bad stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor