Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.
tc1959 said:
Looks tight with that 81 grill. nice work.
Thanks Paul.
I always liked the '81 grille and header panel. My '79 header was cracked and the chrome trim and HL doors were also kinda rough, so this was a good alternative.
Thanks again for your advice on tweaking my hood. It definitely fits and looks better.

Comin along Jack! Bumpers gonna be body color? Such an improvement over the 5 MPH crap. What method did you use to set the bumper back?

How long are the cables you want to shorten and how much do you think you need to loose?

I did find a set of dog dish hubcaps specific to the 63 model year for my Impala SS. Those things just make whatever they're on look sinister, maybe devious is a better word. Looks great, wish I was that far along. ...

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:

Thanks Scott!
The bumpers are either going to be silver, or possibly chrome paint. I would like a brushed stainless or nickel look.
I originally thought body color, but I decided against it.
I drilled out the energy absorbers to release the pressure in order to move them back. I will then put a few spot welds on them once they're in their set position..

As far as the tailgate cables are concerned, I haven't really estimated how much to remove. It would have to be enough where the tailgate is off the bumper when in full open position.
I'm still on the lookout for the replacement swage eyes. I'm thinking maybe a marine supply that deals in rigging for sailboats, etc.

So you were able to acquire a set of '63 dog dish caps. Did you get the set from Jeff (81regal)? I remember a guy in my old neighborhood with a brand new '63 Biscayne 2-dr sedan, 327 4-spd car. It was all black with dog dish caps. Talk about a sinister looking sleeper. It later had a 409 put in it.
It looked pretty much like this '62 Biscayne, only it was a '63.

Oldsmoletick said:
Car looks excellent Jack! :wax:
Thank you my friend. I appreciate it.

Jack,

Do you have tailpipes on both sides like the one on the passenger side? Are you going with wheel opening moldings or no? Just curious, I'm still looking for a set of the thin stainless/aluminum wheel opening moldings for mine. (Not sure if they're stainless or aluminum)

jrm81bu said:
I really like how that bumper looks!
Thanks James! 🙂

ssbrewskyaz said:
Jack,

Do you have tailpipes on both sides like the one on the passenger side? Are you going with wheel opening moldings or no? Just curious, I'm still looking for a set of the thin stainless/aluminum wheel opening moldings for mine. (Not sure if they're stainless or aluminum)

Scott,
I do have tailpipes on both sides. As you probably noticed, I was too lazy to cover them and the wheelhouses when I was painting.. :? I'll probably find a nice pair of exhaust tips...nothing gaudy and outlandish.

I'm not going with wheel opening mouldings of any kind. When I originally purchased the car, it had the wide aluminum wheel opening mouldings, which I hated. I removed those and the stick on rubberized side mouldings.
The thinner wheel opening mouldings are much nicer looking, and a little harder to find. If I'm not mistaken, the thinner mouldings may be stainless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor