Wrecked a Monte Carlo Looking for some insight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneLuv1979

Apprentice
Jan 28, 2012
OK let me start off by saying this is not my car its a friend of mines.
He called me for some insight on what the insurance company will do.
He was not at fault , someone in a business truck ran a stop sign and did some pretty bad damage to the front passenger side.

My question is.
What are insurance companies paying out today for these 85 Monte Carlos?
The car was real clean and babied by the owner.

I had a 86 Cutlass Brougham that I put a olds 350 rocket in and had the car freshly painted. Then 2 weeks later had a alarm installed at best buy , while leaving the parking lot. Same thing. Lady ran stop sign and totaled my cutty.
Insurance came out and wrote me a $1100 check with no option to buy it back... I had that just in the motor.

This was back in 2003 and im curious to know if Values went up at all for the old GBodys?
If they total it what would he be looking at $$$ wise? He did not have collectors insurance.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
In my area, it depends on what the market value for the car is , and what your insurance company policies are. An insurance adjuster may (at their discretion) choose to total a car based on what their idea of 'totaled is- I forget if it is when the damage is more than 60% of the total value of the car or something similar... If high resale (or trade in) for a car is say $3000 for a vehicle in decent condition, they may use that value as a reference, total the parts and labor to fix it, and base their 'totaled' or 'fixable' ruling on that. Every company is different. Also, if he had the car appraised, they insurance company is likely to pay out more.

Good luck! I have been on both sides of the insurance, where I get a good value or when I think they treated me unfairly.

The unfortunate thing with cars is, unless you do have it appraised, (and even if you do) you will almost never get back what you have into it.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Insurance will deff total it. In there eyes cost more to fix then it worth. That being said last clean car i totaled only got offered $1500. Argued and got them to 2k and bought car back for $300 with clear title fixed it for another $500 andsold it for 4k and yes i told the buyer the history on it.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
The best thing you can do now is educate yourself real fast because you will not get the truth from anyone else. Insurance companys like to total cars because they resell them and get back most of there money, if they fix it they get nothing. Every state has different laws so start investigating, and don't let your insurance have the car, you may never see it again.

OneLuv1979

Apprentice
Jan 28, 2012
Yea he is really bumming out.
It happened to me once and it sucks.
I carry Haggerty Full Coverage on my Regal!
Just because...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
In my area the car could end up chopped up or sent to the car auction as-is 'total loss' and they will send you less than $2,000 for sure. Take all valuable parts off the car if you can or don't be surprised to find them replaced with semi-stock bs. Take your rims off or they could overspray too. I would consider telling that guy to visit a lawyer and consider a civil suit instead. Idk what state you're in but if it's California which it kind of looks like in the bg, you will easily defeat that guy in court and maybe you can cut the insurance company out of the whole picture bc they probably don't want to fix that car back to the way it was & might say they are only willing to restore it to stock settings & bs / pussyfoot on the phone about everything & all the sudden it will be 2 years later & the car not finished. Consider visiting an injury lawyer whether injured or not. Who cares what method you get the money out of this guy who f'd up - as long as you do get the money to fix the car - right?! MAKE HIM pay if the ins company wont!

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
I know with my Monte Carlo SS the insurance company said if totaled, my car would only be worth 800.00

OneLuv1979

Apprentice
Jan 28, 2012
He got banged up a little and took a ambulance ride.
We are in South FL where Jewish Lawyers are like Mean Pit Bulls!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in 2002 I got the estimated repair amount of $3,570 for 85 GP that was in a 4 car wreck. I kept the car on the road for another year till I found my current GP. The insurance company does not own you or the car so you don't have to accept what they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor