WTF Wires to Starter/Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Dragonist:

Thanks for the suggestion on the fusible link for the alternator. This additional fusible link seems like cheap insurance. Do you have some kind of holder for the fusible link?

Additionally, II am still trying to find the specifications for the two fusible links at the starter positive post (it does NOT seem that the alternator fusible link will provide protection to the two fires attached to the starter posts going to the headlights and fuse box, I believe).

DOES anyone know what the specifications are for the two fusible links at the gbody (305V8 with A/C)?

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
At least on my wagon (305 sbc w/AC), the one for the AC, alternator, and ignition is a 16 gauge; I just went out and looked at it.

It used to be down on the starter/solenoid, but I cha ngedit one night when it blew and I couldn't see to work down there. I just installed a wire and link directly from the battery to the alternator. Its a lot more convenient, and does exactly the same job as before.

The other link (the one for the headlights) is still down on the solenoid; sorry, I don't now what size it is.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
This might help The two wire plug The brown wire is L or term #1 The Red wire Is V or term #2 It is attached to the battery terminal on the back of the Alt. That wire then goes to the fusible link wire at the starter.
1.0 fusible link wire or 1mm wire is 16 gauge You can buy it by the foot at most good auto parts or auto electric shop.
Just make sure you solder and shrink wrap all connection with the fusible link.

Attachments

• DSCN9952.JPG
    DSCN9952.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 7,964

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks all for your help. I am going with the 16 gauge fusible link and I think I am going to install a disconnect switch from Harbor Freight. I will supply the disconnect switch with a 10 gauge wire from back of the alternator and then install the fusible links on the other side of the disconnect switch (giving me a little but more theft protection and an easy way to disconnect when I have doors open all day at car show or over the winter when put away).

Once again, the help here is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor